Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing cookie cutters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm trying to polish my cookies. (that sounds kinda naughty, doesn't it?) They have a rough cast finish on them, so I have to start with sandng. I'm wondering if anyone has figured out what the best grit to start with is. Rough enough to smooth the roughness, but not so rough it leaves scratches deeper than the rough finish.

(I know polished cookies will never be as shiny as fuchs, but I've seen polished cookies in person, and I REALLY like them)
Series9
When I hand polish (yeah, it's naughty) I use:

120 dry
220 dry
320 wet
440 wet
600 wet
1000 wet
1500 wet

and then, finally, aluminum polish.

If you do wheels by hand, it'll take a LONG time. You can have them professionally done for about $75 each.

I agree, I like polished Cookies.
Joe Ricard
Definately got to use a sander. (sanders are faster AND don't dig into the surface as much.) I did my FUCHS 120, 340, 600 wet and then rubbing compound and finally Mothers aluminum polish. All with a random orbital sander. Cookies might require something like a BLack and Decker Mouse. lots of funny angles
scooter311
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....=cookie+cutters

Heya I polished my cookies (huh huh) and did almost the same as what 914rs said - it takes a long time, but you'll be happy with the results, just be patient it takes FOREVER!!!!!

They will never be super-shiny, but if you take your time you'll be very happy. All the angles sucked, it was tough to do by hand! I used WD40 as a lubricant while I sanded, I've done this to motorcycle swingarms etc and seems to work for me. Oh yeah, I used every kind of polish imagineable, and the best stuff I found was Brasso. And I had really slippery fingers after too.....
(sanded off my fingerprints)
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (scooter311 @ Jan 20 2005, 06:43 AM)
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....=cookie+cutters

Heya I polished my cookies (huh huh) and did almost the same as what 914rs said - it takes a long time, but you'll be happy with the results, just be patient it takes FOREVER!!!!!

They will never be super-shiny, but if you take your time you'll be very happy. All the angles sucked, it was tough to do by hand! I used WD40 as a lubricant while I sanded, I've done this to motorcycle swingarms etc and seems to work for me. Oh yeah, I used every kind of polish imagineable, and the best stuff I found was Brasso. And I had really slippery fingers after too.....
(sanded off my fingerprints)

If I remember correctly BRASSO is not recommended for Aluminum. Not sure why because I have used it in a pinch. Any Chemists out there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.