Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake pedal travel after cluster rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
Just put in cluster and noticed brake pedal travel has increased.i know this can be adjusted at rod,but I had not touched it while rebuilding,pedal is firm when it finally connects.is it unusual to. Have to readjust rod.?is there a proper method gap?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 09:18 AM) *

Just put in cluster and noticed brake pedal travel has increased.i know this can be adjusted at rod,but I had not touched it while rebuilding,pedal is firm when it finally connects.is it unusual to. Have to readjust rod.?is there a proper method gap?

Is the rubber pedal stop mounted on the cluster installed correctly?
76-914
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 07:18 AM) *

Me thinks something changed. Check below; is your MC flush against the body. Is your cluster flush to the floor, also? No washers were added were they? It all sandwiches together.
rosenfe
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 2 2014, 07:24 AM) *

Me thinks something changed. Check below; is your MC flush against the body. Is your cluster flush to the floor, also? No washers were added were they? It all sandwiches together.

mc is tight against firewall, ,cluster flush to floor,no added washers.maybe rod got loosend while i rebuilt cluster.
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 07:59 AM) *

mc is tight against firewall, ,cluster flush to floor,no added washers.maybe rod got loosend while i rebuilt cluster.

not sure what you mean by rubber pedal stop.ill look at it again tonite and check out the diagram.
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 07:59 AM) *

not sure what you mean by rubber pedal stop.ill look at it again tonite and check out the diagram.

just looked at pedal cluster diagram,and im missing the rubber stop piece .ill try that
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jul 2 2014, 10:11 AM) *

just looked at pedal cluster diagram,and im missing the rubber stop piece .ill try that

I'm sure that will be your answer.
Pedal free play is measured from at rest on the stop to where the plunger contacts the m/c piston.
rosenfe
[quote name='Racer Chris' date='Jul 2 2014, 08:31 AM' post='2056740']
[quote name='rosenfe' post='2056733' date='Jul 2 2014, 10:11 AM']
[/quote]
I'm sure that will be your answer.
Pedal free play is measured from at rest on the stop to where the plunger contacts the m/c piston.
[/quo

how much free play should there be?
jim_hoyland
The distance is something like a millimeter or so IIRC
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 3 2014, 09:28 AM) *

That's the spec for the rod to piston clearance.
At the pedal its more like 1/2 to 3/4" I think.
rosenfe
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 3 2014, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 3 2014, 09:28 AM) *

That's the spec for the rod to piston clearance.
At the pedal its more like 1/2 to 3/4" I think.

ive decided that its not rod distance causing excessive pedal travel,but rather some air that needs to be bled.pedal does get firmer with less travel as i pump it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.