Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clean out your long !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
I am doing some restoration of the hell hole. Getting ready to put a new top on the long & decided I should vacuum it out first. I found a inch and a half of wet dirt in the bottom of the long. The more I dug the more stuff I found. There was a opend end wrench, 2 - 1/4" drive sockets, a wad of rotted out duct tape & some electrical wire down there. No chop sticks though.
MarkV
my template
MarkV
16 gauge
MarkV
the patch
MarkV
Scribed & butt welded new inner fender.
MarkV
that patch
MarkV
the before
MarkV
You guys inspired me to finally get some work done. Broke down & bought a mig kit for my lincoln 120v flux welder. What a difference that makes. IPB Image

The outside of the long is pristine.
SpecialK
Those are some real good pics Mark! Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on the repair. Did you punch the holes in the repair patch, or drill them?

Wish my Century 80 flux core could be converted, but it looks I'll just have to choke on the fumes and scrape slag for now. IPB Image
DJsRepS
How did he ever get those chop sticks out???
JerryP
Great pix Mark. What shielding gas did you use? I just got a Lincoln but haven't picked up the cylinder yet.
spunone
Inner fender looks great where did ya get it?? IPB Image
MarkV
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 20 2005, 01:22 AM)
Those are some real good pics Mark! Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on the repair. Did you punch the holes in the repair patch, or drill them?

Looks can be deceiving. I don't any much experience at welding. The MIG makes the welds look a lot better. It took plenty of grinding on the butt welds. I punched the holes with one of those Harbor Freight flange/punch air tools.

The inner fender is a Restoration Design part.

The shield gas is 75/25% CO2/Argon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.