Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I made new door panels woooo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scooter311
So a-whatta you think? You like? You no-like? You no-care?
scooter311
Here-sa onna da car
scooter311
Oh my god those pics are huge!! Sorry IPB Image

I don't even want to tell you how easy they were to make........
mikerose
Very Nice IPB Image
914Timo
Looks goooooood !!! IPB Image
Joe Ricard
They look great!! To bad you didn't have some of that cow skin.
morgan
SWEEEEET!
JM
skline
Yeah, very sweet, Are you going to match the rest of the interior to the door panels?
jr91472
Wow, those are almost exactly what I had in mind for my panels. IPB Image

Do you have a pattern or something I could bum? IPB Image
mike_the_man
Those look very good! I was thinking about doing something similar. I think you should tell us how easy those were to make. A step by step of the project would be fantastic!
Quebecer
IPB Image Instructions is what we need, i.e. a Tech Article for the "Info" section.

Great work !

I need door pulls, mine are shot, anyone know where I can find them?
scotty b
IPB Image Step by step instructions, and to make it easier on us why don't you provide the material too?? IPB Image While your at it just me me a set!! Or four. rocking nana.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
THose look really nice... great work. Are those heat pleats or sewn?
scooter311
Thanks for the compliments IPB Image

I'd like to do the seats next, but that would be a pretty big step - I have a line on a junk set to hack up, and it might be a long-term project, because my original seats are in pretty good shape right now.

I'd be happy to put together a 'how-to' post, I've got more pictures of how I did it and I'll put something together next week (I'm going camping tomorrow and may get snowed in beofre then IPB Image )

For now:

$9 - Marine vinyl and 1/2 inch foam from fabric store using discount coupon from newspaper

$6 for 1/2 and 1/4 inch staples

$4 for thin (balsa) wood strips to replace old ones from top pad section

$30 for the shoe repair lady to stitch the pleats

If you have a sewing machine, you can save the $30 bucks. Even if you screw things up, the material is sooo cheap you can keep trying. I was thinking of making them and selling them, I dunno - It's pretty simple, anyone can do it.

IPB Image
scotty b
IPB Image HOLD on nowm, are those speakers in the door panel??? You rotten S.O.B......... IPB Image I still want a pair IPB Image
Jeroen
nice job!
Dr Evil
Oh great, even more competition for door panels IPB Image

JK, they look great. The 1/2" foam may have been over kill, though. I am making a set like yours for a client right now. Red-beards look like that, and I will likely be going the same route. Are the pleats sewn through the panel?
Brando
Could I get a pattern for the panel? I want to do something similar but use some aluminum I have instead of particle board...
scooter311
You guys are killin me IPB Image

Ze pleats are sewn in, with a piece of cotton fabric over the back so the stitches don't pull through.

Hey scottyb IPB Image these were the original panels from the car so I figured what the heck, nothing else on the car is really original anymore anyhoo. I DO have a set without holes that I'm gonna redo as well, but there are some cracks in them that I hafta fix first.

I'll load the pattern pics and pleat patterns next week from home IPB Image
tat2dphreak
those are dead-sexy beasts!
jd74914
Nice IPB Image
mharrison
I haven't torn any door panels apart, but what did you do with the thin Balsa wood strips?
redshift
Coolness! Those look great!

M
kenporacer
nice job
scotty b
IPB Image You got me thinking. I might try doing the pleats with basketweave and the rest solid to tie it into the seats!!! IPB Image IPB Image
Gint
Looks pretty nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.