Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plugging the fuel hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I read an article about either draining the tank or plugging the fuel lines prior to dropping the engine. I'd rather just plug the hoses. This is my first time doing this, what is the safest way to plug them?
How much gas can I expect to come out when I first take them off? Will they continue to spill all of the gas from the tank, or just whatever is in the hose until I clamp them off somehow?

Trying to keep all of my bases covered because I dont want to take any chances.
Thanks
ericoneal
I read an article about either draining the tank or plugging the fuel lines prior to dropping the engine. I'd rather just plug the hoses. This is my first time doing this, what is the safest way to plug them?
How much gas can I expect to come out when I first take them off? Will they continue to spill all of the gas from the tank, or just whatever is in the hose until I clamp them off somehow?

Thanks

By the way, its a fuel injected car.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 3 2014, 09:59 AM) *

Trying to keep all of my bases covered because I don't want to take any chances.
Thanks

If you have the original FI, the fuel line disconnect is done high in the engine compartment, right near the trunk hinge just aft of the battery. You won't lose more than a few drops of fuel. Even if you disconnect the pressure line at the right fuel rail, the loss will be minor. Plugging the hoses, while not really necessary, can be done with a punch, an 8mm bolt which has an unthreaded shoulder, or pinch-off pliers. You can also just take the pressure hose end and push it on to the return plastic return line. Remember which hose goes where, 'cause the car won't run with the hoses reversed.

Have fun!

The Cap'n
stugray
IIRC, a CV joint bolt fits just right in the line with a snug hose clamp.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 3 2014, 08:59 AM) *

Thanks

By the way, its a fuel injected car.

I just use an oversize bolt.
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 3 2014, 10:41 AM) *
I just use an oversize bolt.

agree.gif

Just use a bolt that fits the hose tightly, you normally don't even have to use a hose clamp.
smile.gif
ericoneal
That sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

Odd that I made a quick edit to this post and it made a duplicate thread.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 3 2014, 01:06 PM) *

You can also just take the pressure hose end and push it on to the return plastic return line.
The Cap'n

ericoneal
With some help from walterolin, I was able to get the engine out yesterday by myself using the "Furniture dolly" method.
Megasquirt wiring was a pain to manage, previous owner had a ground wire going from a bolt on the fire wall, to under the airbox (took that off to follow it), to a mounting bolt on the transmission. Why? Ground bolt to ground bolt?

The toughest part of the whole drop was getting the shifter bar unhooked. Had to to tap with hammer, then pull until it felt like my eyes were going to fall out.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 8 2014, 09:22 AM) *
Why? Ground bolt to ground bolt?

To ground the engine and transmission since both are rubber mounted.

There is supposed to be a large metal strap going from the transmission to the underside of the rear trunk for that exact same reason.
smile.gif
ericoneal
I see. Transmission strap was there too, but it was in bad shape.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 8 2014, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 8 2014, 09:22 AM) *
Why? Ground bolt to ground bolt?

To ground the engine and transmission since both are rubber mounted.

There is supposed to be a large metal strap going from the transmission to the underside of the rear trunk for that exact same reason.
smile.gif

Spoke
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 8 2014, 01:45 PM) *

I see. Transmission strap was there too, but it was in bad shape.

I bought a short battery cable at my FLAPS for a couple of dollars. 4ga or 6ga and about 1 foot long with eye loops on both ends.
76-914
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 3 2014, 10:13 AM) *

IIRC, a CV joint bolt fits just right in the line with a snug hose clamp.

agree.gif but you won't need a clamp. Those used CV bolts have many uses for us CSOB's. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.