Full Version: Wiring of my triple gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good afternoon everyone,

I need some help wiring up my triple gauge
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Harpo
For starters can the stock oil temp sender on my 4 work with the 6 temp gauge? Each of the three gauges has three inputs what is what?

The electrical plug in the upper R/H corner is for the LED's

Thanks

David
Cap'n Krusty
The sender must be matched to the gauge. There are a number of different combinations.

The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
Make up two jumper wires with one male spade connector and 3 female spade connectors. Make one with red wires, and the other with brown wires. Hook the red ones to the positive connectors on the back of each gauge, and the brown ones on to the negative or ground connectors.

Hook the sender wires up to the proper senders, put the lights in the gauge cluster and put it in the dash.

Harpo
The 911 sender has two wires. Is one of those a ground?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 3 2014, 03:23 PM) *

The 911 sender has two wires. Is one of those a ground?

A picture would help, but it is probably a combo sensor with the idiot light and gauge in one.

Most pressure and temp senders ground through the case.

Dave_Darling
Look for markings on the plastic part of each connector on the back of the gauge there. I can sort of see one next to the upper-right pin of the lower-right plug--I think it looks like a ground symbol (several parallel lines getting shorter) but it's a little tough to tell from the pic.

--DD
Harpo
Somewhere I read here that this was the correct sender

Click to view attachment
Harpo
Per the captain's comment do I need a 911 temp sender and are the threads the same?
Brian_Boss
That sender looks like a Bosch aftermarket sender with both a switch (idiot light) and sender (gauge). I believe all 911's had a separate sender/switch. There are at least two PSI ranges but if you have the right one it works fine w/ the 911 instrument - that's what I have in mine.

Range and function of the terminals s/b marked on sender but may be hard to read.

P.S. For 0 - 5 BAR gauge, I believe the sender you want should say 0-80PSI on it.
Harpo
Each one of the gauges does have identification

GAS: G + ground
Pressure: G + ground
Temp: G + ground

I'm guessing on the ground. it looks like a plus symbol (+) with some extra lines below the horizontal line

Red + and brown is ground so my sensor wire goes to the G

Thanks for all of the help

DAvid
Harpo
Thanks Brian. I have the 80 PSI dual sender

David
Harpo
Here is a matched 911 sender & gauge but they want $200
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%34%2D%38%39%29

Does anyone know if I can use the 914 sender (free) or do I have to use the 911 sender for $67? Are the threads the same?

Thanks

David
bdstone914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 4 2014, 07:57 AM) *

Does anyone know if I can use the 914 sender (free) or do I have to use the 911 sender for $67? Are the threads the same?

Thanks

David

To answer that question you need to know what year 911 temp gauge is used. I believe is was 1974 where the sending unit changed. You can bench wire it with the 914 sender and see if it responds to heating the sender. If it goes up you can use the 914 sender. If you have a later 911 gauge the sender works opposite. I think the early senders decreased in resistance as the temperature increased. Later senders increased in resistance as the temp increased.
Harpo
Bruce, I got the gauge from you. I will check my PM's to see if I can figure out what year it was.

Thanks

David
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 4 2014, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 4 2014, 07:57 AM) *

Thanks

David

To answer that question you need to know what year 911 temp gauge is used. I believe is was 1974 where the sending unit changed. You can bench wire it with the 914 sender and see if it responds to heating the sender. If it goes up you can use the 914 sender. If you have a later 911 gauge the sender works opposite. I think the early senders decreased in resistance as the temperature increased. Later senders increased in resistance as the temp increased.
I have a couple of 911 senders but I think they are the early type. I think that temp gauge was not used in 911 until 74 so you are probably going to need the 911 sender.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.