Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 96 mm big bore kits for 2L engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barefoot
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330952230078?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't know what brand pistons & cylinders there are, any comments on quality ?
Don't want to pinch on rebuild to get a 2056 cc motor. Have heard that some brands are better than others
My present 94 mm cylinders are toast.
Barefoot
hot_shoe914
I am using a set of them with no problems. I have been told to check the cylinders closely for roundness.
Mblizzard
I am running a set in my 2056. There are clearly better quality sets that can be had. If you are building a daily driver it might be worth stepping up to a higher level.

But I have been running mine hard with no problems. So I guess it is a hit or miss proposition.
stugray
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-...-cylinders.html

These are the same that Jake used in the Type IV store.
They appear to cost more from EMW than the sets at AA, but the KB are what I went with.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 3 2014, 06:23 PM) *

They appear to cost more from EMW than the sets at AA, but the KB are what I went with.

No, those were cryoed and trued on both seating surfaces. We also changed the roughness averages and plateau finishes on most of the kits as they varied over time.

Feels so good to use that in past tense.
:-)
dirk9141973
confused24.gif I thought that EMW sold Keith black cylinders and pistons? That is what they sold me?
Jake Raby
KB doesn't make cylinders.. Never have. They only make pistons.

The cylinders EMW has offered changed over the years, at a time they were just the AA sets, then they had some others made in Mexico and they've changed a couple times since.

Today, I install LN Nickies on all my engines.
r_towle
I would suggest EMW all day long.
Great guys to work with.
Superb customer services
Friendly and helpful over the phone.

A vendor that needs to be supported.

They also have a machine shop and sell all sorts of parts.
Dtjaden
agree.gif
I used EMW pistons & cylinders on my 2056. The checked out well.
JamesM
I was told the EWM built 2056 I picked up from Bruce has AA P&Cs. They have not scattered on me yet, and not for lack of trying. Datalogs on one of my full throttle tuning runs shows I hit 6400 RPM

Probably more abuse then motor with less than 500 miles on it should see, but I have not managed to break it yet. I did go back and set a rev limiter at 6200 though to be safe.

Had I built it myself I probably would have gone with the KB pistons given the price difference is only a couple hundred bucks, but really cant complain with what I have seen so far.

stugray
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 4 2014, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 3 2014, 06:23 PM) *

No, those were cryoed and trued on both seating surfaces. We also changed the roughness averages and plateau finishes on most of the kits as they varied over time.

Feels so good to use that in past tense.
:-)

So were both the cyls & pistons set cryo treated?
And the "trued" part... I assume that measn that the cylinders were checked/machined to be sure the case mating surface was parallel to the head mating surface and both were perpendicular to the cyl walls?

Those are things I would like to know to put in my build log.
72hardtop
I purchased a set of AA biral 96mm's for my 2056cc T-4 in my 72 Westy hardtop. I just returned from a ~3000 mile road trip and barely used a 1/2 qt of oil. When I received they were all 1/2 gram within one another and the ring end gaps were spot on within spec. Rings used were Hastings.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Jul 4 2014, 12:32 PM) *

agree.gif
I used EMW pistons & cylinders on my 2056. The checked out well.

I was not so lucky, my EMW cylinders had over .015 taper on two and one was hourglass and the 4th was just too big. the KB pistons checked out pretty good though and just needed a little weight adjustment to match.
Jorge was pretty good about getting me a set of cylinders that were workable, but never did reimburse me for shipping the first set of cylinders back. confused24.gif

I wouldn't write them off on one event though. just be sure to have someone with a bore gauge check the barrels before putting the stuff together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.