Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine mount for Six Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
Planning for future swap from 1.8 four to 2.7 six in my '72. Will a stock 911 engine mount from the early 70's bolt up to the 914 mounts and align the motor properly front to back, or do I need to buy a special mount designed for this application.
mepstein
a stock 911 mount will not do it. not even close. the good thing is that there are now a couple options for mounting a six in a 4
jmill
Check the vendor section here. There are two on the first page. I'm particular to Naro914's mount. That's the way I'd like to go. He has one left.
Mark Henry
There's a lot more to it than just the mount, so do your research before you jump in.

Tank, oil lines, exhaust, flywheel conversion, etc and then bigger brakes...it's a slippery slope that is not cheap.
motorvated
Yes, I'm aware of the slippery slope of conversion to a six. I'm already switching over to 911 five lug, new and bigger brakes, 108 CVs, etc. I saw an early 70's 911 engine mount for sale on Pelican, and it looked like it had very similar mounting points, and that prompted my question. I thought it probably wouldn't work on the 914, but wanted to be sure. Thanks so the feedback.
pcar916
agree.gif The 911 crossbar is too long. A shorty version will work only if the proper mounts for it are welded to the firewall.

edit: Deleted text.

Just looked at Naro914's mount. That one I like a lot. It'll let the engine/transaxle unit swing down for 1st/reverse gear work on the car.. not so much for 915-916 gearbox work, but that's a small group of folks.

Good luck!
brant
Thousands of race miles. And more importantly track side repairs on the pm's mount and it is still my all time favorite option. (Replaced the Delrin once even as regular maintenance and highly impressed with the service)
Elliot Cannon
This is great information for when I convert my car to a six. Sometime real soon. In the future. Maybe soon. Sometime. Next year. Or later maybe. laugh.gif
pcar916
OT warning. I ran 108 cv's for a while and they are certainly strong... but they are incredibly heavy compared with 100's like those from a 944 or a 911 especially if you're running a 2.7 that doesn't need them.

Plenty of threads on that subject, but I'd consider rethinking that component. beerchug.gif
McMark
Making a 911 mount work would be way more work (HACKING) than just using a piece made for a 914.
pcar916
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2014, 10:41 AM) *

Making a 911 mount work would be way more work (HACKING) than just using a piece made for a 914.

Oh heck yes!!!!
naro914
I do have 1 left in stock, and can always have more made.

I apologize if anyone tries to get information from our naroescapemotorsports.com website. I built it long ago in FrontPage. When I got a new computer...FP won't run...soooo...I can't edit anything. I am soon going to transfer everything to a Wordpress site, but haven't had the chance yet. soon..(he tells himself....kinda like 'I'll get this 914 off jack stands and running soon...")

if you need more info, please PM or better yet, email me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.