Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel question for the factory 6 experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I'm looking at a set of reproduction Mahle Gas Burners for my 6. The original ones are pricing on the moon lately. Here's a link to the ones I'm looking at.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...Code=C32%2DGB2B

Here's are my questions:

Anyone know what the back space is for the factory Gas Burner?

Anyone ever seen these wheels side by side?

Are these good reproductions?

What is the correct style finish for the 6?
GeorgeRud
Can't help with the back spacing, but it should be similar to the Fuchs or Shellie's of that era in order for it to fit correctly.

The finish was a bare magnesium/aluminum finish that could be closely replicated with some Wurth wheel paint. Definitely not the black background or chrome that are shown in the advertisement. I wonder if blasting the painted wheels would give a good base for painting them?

The originals have gone out of site on pricing, and perhaps the old magnesium wheels may not be all that strong after all these years. I think the repops are a reasonable choice and the look is great on a 914-6.
Mark Henry
They are only 5-1/2" I believe real ones are 6". They will be pressure cast alunimum, likely better than old mag but heavy.
Have them checked to make sure they are true, suppose to be 19mm backspace.
CIP is OK to deal with, but make sure they are checked out fully ASAP as some of these wheels have been off and the longer you have them the bigger PITA returns are.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...516&start=0
al weidman
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2014, 11:28 AM) *

They are only 5-1/2" I believe real ones are 6". They will be pressure cast alunimum, likely better than old mag but heavy.
Have them checked to make sure they are true, suppose to be 19mm backspace.
CIP is OK to deal with, but make sure they are checked out fully ASAP as some of these wheels have been off and the longer you have them the bigger PITA returns are.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...516&start=0

Rick, my brother has some originals he is restoring and could give you any info you need. 530/534-7903 AL. bye1.gif
mskala
Mahle gasburners are 5.5 x 15 ET42. Same offset as all the 5.5 x 15 choices.

I actually wanted to check my memory, this info is in the parts diagrams.
mepstein
Rick. Is this car for you to hold on to or sell. If it's a keeper, buy repros with tires you want to drive. If it's a project to bring back to orig, buy the real thing. I've seen plentry of sets for 2k or could be worked down to that price. Personally I think the real ones are worth buying. My feeling is they will increase in price
rick 918-S
Thanks guys. I saw a set for sale but can't bring myself to cough up that kind of dough right now. I think I may just wait and shop for a deal later. Not like I need them right now anyway.
Johny Blackstain
If I was doing a narrow body restoration, or a 5 lug conversion on a narrow four, 5 lug gas burners would be my 1st choice, period. However a 5.5" width limits them to narrow body only. Anything w/ flares would just not look right using genuine gas burners. Wider aftermarket repros would be something to consider in that situation, both depending on the quality & weight of the rim. Original 5 lug Mahles are still one of the lightest wheels ever made.
brant
I agree. 5.5 stock

We used to not pay any notice because 6 inch wides were then readily available out on the track
914Sixer
I am planning to use the black 4 bolt version of these wheels for the 75. They should look good in keeping with the black 914 trim of the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.