Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help replacing Accererator linkage housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tributary
I suppose the housing for the cable must be crimped because it tore up another cable
in about 5 minutes..

My question.. how do I access to put in a new housing... it appears to disapear into
the body and I don't see a way to access from underneath.. I am hope I don't have
to take the body of the car apart!

Is there an easy fix? Or an alternate way to make like a bit easier here...
I am a bit of a newbee here so any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

John
Root_Werks
The "tube" is probably okay. My guess is you have strands of the old cable jammed in there? I had to run a stiff wire through one once to push out parts or srands of the old cable. It is a pain, but nothing touches that tube, so unlikely it has been squished. IPB Image
tributary
about halfway on the cable it just tore it in two with about 5 depressions on the pedal...
that cable is just not that easy to cut...

I feel I should just start new with a new tube and housing..

how do you route something through there?

or would I be best to try to re route externally?

John
DJsRepS
My car did the same thing it had alot of rust so much that it ate my throdle tube in the center run. When I cut the rust out from under the car I saw why I had so much trouble as you described. The throdle tube had rusted out and when the new cable was being pushed in from behind it exited out the rust hole and not out the end of the tube where you want it to. It did make its way to the linkage but not the intended way. It did not last a day untill I fixed the tube. I had to cut out 8" in the middle of the tube and repalce it with copper tubing I swedged to fit over the original tube then clamped it in place. Luckly Im very cheap so the replacment cable I broke was mearly steel fishing leader. I am still using fishing leader over 1yr now and it works great. I did buy a new terry cable and bushing kit for the pedals but there is rust there too. So I have to wait till I get in that welding mood again to put those parts in. PS if your cable breaks and you dont have AAA you can make it home on a fast idle. Set your Idle adj way up or pull a vacuume hose will get the idle up there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.