Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 very original, wheel well paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ccamut
Recently purchased, this is my 3rd 914, very well maintained, no undercoating, no rust, wheel wells were painted black, as I clean it, the paint is coming off, and the silver underneath is very tarnished. Planning to repaint with wurth high build underseal.

Is that a mistake? Not sure I can get the original/ non original black paint off.

Was the black from the factory?

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks,

Christopher
JeffBowlsby
Body paint was original in wheel wells. Not black, unless the car was black.
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 6 2014, 05:35 PM) *

Body paint was original in wheel wells. Not black, unless the car was black.

agree.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Christopher, welcome.png

Good to have you here, and it would be great if you could post some pics of your car on this thread.

Paul
ccamut
Thank you for the welcome. Been a stalker on the site for a while but never posted.
Bought my first 914 from a junk yard in late 90's with my forgiving girlfriend, who is now my forgiving wife......sold it a few years later to George Hussey. He made a hotrod out of it, think it is still on his website, anyway bought a disassembled 914 from him that was restored but not put back together. Sold that one to a nice gentleman from the Midwest. Lots of p-cars later I found this one here in Denver.

Originally bought in Santa Barbara by a doctor in the military, brought to Colorado in the 80's. Motor refresh by Eisenbuds in the mid 90's, seems to have about 20K on the rebuild. Used high compression cylinders, and still has fuel injection. Frankly the best 914 I have driven.

Car is nearly original except for a repaint in original color, Id give it a 8.5 out of 10. About a dozen chips, etc. Remarkably zero rust, battery tray replaced, but everything else is rust free, I can't believe the underside is like it was from the factory.

I decided to repaint the wheel wells with high build undersell, could not get the previous paint off. All the hardware though is unpainted.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the assistance on these forums.

Question.......The spoiler and rear underbumper valence need a touch up, plus they are a bit shiny. I am going to use the Wurth flat black trim paint.....is that the right finish?

Also looking for an original radio is anyone has one laying around.
ccamut
Click to view attachment
ccamut
Click to view attachment
ccamut
Click to view attachment
ccamut
and the fiberglass rockers are growing on me.....have the originals I may put on later.
JawjaPorsche
I am so glad when I purchased my 914 new that I did bow to the pressure of the salesman to do undercoating. Just cleaned up with Simple Green.

I like the look of the wheel wells having the same color as the car.
914runnow
QUOTE(ccamut @ Jul 6 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Hmmmmmmm where did that one come from???
Have not seen that one in the state..
good job.....
was it Denver area??
DblDog
....that garage is WAY too clean! OCD? poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.