Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: center console Sub Enclosure thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
I saw the thread on the CAD files, So I'm starting there for building my own Center Console.

I have a design in mind for my speaker box, and will show it eventually. For now, here is the first drawing, and the CAD file I drew while building my box.

This thread is to track my progress from start to finish. :-)

Click to view attachment

The drawing in this DWG file ^^
CptTripps
Can't wait to see the progress. Several have tried different versions of this, but I don't think anyone has built something that gives truly deep bass.

It'd help to post a PNG or JPG of what you're doing. Not a lot of people have a way to open a DWG file.
RJMII
Doug, deep bass is my specialty. biggrin.gif

Excellent idea for posting a PNG or JPG. :-)
The DWG file is the gif in the post. I'll make sure and add screen shots of the drawings as I go. I'm also going to be using a lot of cardboard for this, to cut a piece, and *then* draw it in CAD.
Harpo
Will your CNC cut out thin aluminum?

Thanks

David
steuspeed
I have been planing on building my own center console with 8" sub. I picked up a NOS Morel 8" dual voice coil shallow mount sub for the project. This should be interesting to follow.
RJMII
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 6 2014, 12:00 PM) *

Will your CNC cut out thin aluminum?

Thanks

David

No. :-) I'm getting set up with another laser guy to cut the little bit of aluminum pieces I need done. PM me for what you have in mind, I'll see if we'll be able to include it in one big file?

I'm not using all of the original pieces for my console, BTW.
lonewolfe
I'm really excited to follow your progress with this. I have a really nice set of new stereo components to install in my car once the paint finally gets done. I have a very nice JL Audio 8" sub as part of the package. I have already purchased some of Mikey914's fiberglass speaker pods and one of his sub boxes for the passenger floorboard. I've thought of modifying the sub box to allow some more legroom and move the sub up higher under the dash as I've seen a couple of other people have done.
RJMII
toying with ideas.

It's going to either be layers, like this, or a 3d puzzle internals with a fiberglass shell wrapped around it.

lonewolfe
Cool stuff! Where are you thinking of locating the sub? I've seen some boxes that fit in the passenger footwell that are similar to 914rubber's except they fabricated a kind of funnel shaped tower that has the sub pointed up under the dash. It's pretty much invisible and totally out of the way. Pretty cool! Have you seen any of these?
RJMII
Yeah, Rod from the UK (IIRC) has his built like that. If I need more airspace for my sub, I"ll connect the foot well area to the center console for one big piece of air, per se.

The sub will be firing up towards the dash in mine, also. smile.gif

I'm hoping to be able to cut a slice in the morning, and adhere it in place so I can get measurements and start modifying the layers from there.
boxsterfan
You guys upgrading your power (alternators) to what when putting in these sound systems?
RJMII
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jul 7 2014, 10:20 PM) *

You guys upgrading your power (alternators) to what when putting in these sound systems?

Click on my link in my sig. wink.gif 260-280 hp 3.0 w/serious alternator power. lol
RJMII
I just picked up a few more goodies to continue on this project.

a pair of DD front speakers, a pair of AP pods, a pair of 6.5 DD subs, and a DD 80 amplifier to power the subs. Oh, and some Sony head unit with 5 volt pre-outs, blue tooth, and satellite radio stuff. i'm hoping to have my car ready to go for the summer of driving... hah hah hah
steuspeed
I just removed my console last night while working on my heater lever. It would be hard to get the console installed in one solid piece. Maybe it can with the seats and knee pad removed? Just something to think about in your design.

I'm going for side fire 6.5", 7" or 8". I have a few options. What's your plan?
RJMII
My plan is to fire them up, towards the dash to where the faces won't be seen. The ports will be aimed at the shifter.

This weekend I'm hoping to have time to get either a 3d scan of my interior, or build a 3d model of sorts. The garage lights are ready to go up, and then I should have enough light for the project.
76-914
Can't wait. popcorn[1].gif Good to have you back, Jim. beerchug.gif
EDIT: Still have my 914 Key Fob that you made. biggrin.gif
RJMII
some eye candy... since I know you all like looking at pictures. ;-)
Chris914n6
Looks like you forgot about the gas pedal intrusion.

I think an MDF frame with fleece would be a lot easier to make.
RJMII
Looks like you forgot that I mentioned I'm 3d scanning the inside of my car...
Hahaha

I've got some pretty fancy software and toys ... *ahem* tools... at my house... 3d scanner (or 3), slicing software, cnc router table that'll (soon enough be able to) cut a full sheet of ply or mdf, and I have a microscribe with degrees of freedom on the way. :-) either design will be quite easy for me to build.

The sliced picture above is for demonstration purposes only, for one of the ideas that I was contemplating.
RJMII
Thought I'd revisit this thread and do something with my cars. Played around a little bit yesterday with 3d scanner and my flared car.
RJMII
latest version...

for a DD 506 sub

.3 cf, tuned to 40hz.

plenty of room for the gas pedal, sub is out of site and there's spot for my ipad mini 5.
RJMII
with cutout for ipad mini
RJMII
why is this rotating my pictures?
RJMII
slowly adding details...

still need to add the cable shifter base, the hole for it, and the shifter trim ring.
Justinp71
Wow that's super neat. I have the passenger footwell sub and it works ok, but would be nice to have it in the center console instead. Plus the Ipad console is neat, you could probably run a portable dash on there if you had mega squirt too.
RJMII
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 24 2022, 10:23 AM) *

Wow that's super neat. I have the passenger footwell sub and it works ok, but would be nice to have it in the center console instead. Plus the Ipad console is neat, you could probably run a portable dash on there if you had mega squirt too.

thank you!

both my cars are going to be running megasquirt. one is already wired for it, and was running. I was thinking of doing a Latte Panda with a touch screen to run tuner studio.

RJMII
trim piece test print from PLA.

a few adjustments and it should be good to print out for the permanent design.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.