Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steelie wheels $25 each$ ( plus shipping for non-locals))
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Cuda911
Hi, I just replaced my 1974 steelies with Mahle's.

25$ each (plus shipping for non-locals). Five wheels.

Anyone want them?

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
OK, 71 views and no replies. So, is $25 too much? For that matter, is there even a market at all for used steelies?

Thanks!
914itis
I think, unless they look brand new out of the factory, no.

Over the past few years I can recall 2 members looking for a set. One of them wanted to refresh a stock car.
Cuda911
OK, thanks... I didn't really think there was a market for them, but figured I'd give it a shot.

How about the OEM lug bolts... any market for them? The Mahle's needed 2" bolts, the steelies use 1.5 inchers.
koozy
People do buy the lug bolts, but sadly I finally tossed a set of these wheels into a steel recycler's truck earlier this year because nobody wanted them.
koozy
The plastic lug covers are desirable too
Cuda911
I have such a hard time tossing these wheels in the trash... they've lived a good 40 years on the car and deserve better. smile.gif

For now, I've got the lug covers on the Mahle bolts. The bolts are black and a bit scratched. Still deciding if I like this look or if I should jusr paint the bolt heads silver.
koozy
Tell me about it. I tried to do something with them for 5 years. It killed me to give them to the recycling guy but at least he benefited from them in some small way
euro911
A week after you pitch them, someone will post a WTB blink.gif

Some folks will want a set to put on their car when going into the paint shop.

Some folks might want a set for their w/e AX wheels too ...

Post a pic without the rusty beauty rims confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
Put a FS ad on TheSamba website. The VW guys like them because they are 5.5 x 15 rims.
Cuda911
I'll take off those crappy rusty chrome trim rings and photo them soon. The trim rings stay on by grabbing into the wheels with metal tabs, so the wheels look even worse without the trim rings.

These wheels would be good for rollers, or I suppose could be refinished for someone wanting to return to a stock look for their car. Overall, though, they are not in great condition. Maybe will post on Samba too. Would like to find a good home for them, and I have too much crap around here as it is.
Big Len
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 8 2014, 01:08 AM) *

Put a FS ad on TheSamba website. The VW guys like them because they are 5.5 x 15 rims.

agree.gif Somebody will buy them there.
type47fan
PM sent
Cuda911
QUOTE(type47fan @ Jul 10 2014, 10:07 AM) *

PM sent

^^^ Hi, I checked my messages... for some reason the PM didn't come through. A fellow Trojan I see.
type47fan
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 10 2014, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(type47fan @ Jul 10 2014, 10:07 AM) *

PM sent

^^^ Hi, I checked my messages... for some reason the PM didn't come through. A fellow Trojan I see.

You're too fast! I sent the PM at 10:12 am. Should be there now.

Fight On!

Click to view attachment
Jackgerard
Are they gone cause I would love them!!!
Cuda911
^^^ Jack, I have a guy who want to buy them. He's out of town this week. If he backs out of the deal when he returns, I'll let you know.
Jackgerard
Ok sounds good thank you.
daytona
Hi,
I sent you a PM on the wheels.
Bill.
rhodyguy
just so you know. the backspacing and 5.5x15 sizing is what makes them desirable for the VW crowd. imho they should carry twice the value of a set of used rivieras or empi style 8 spokes. a set of rollers wheels are a nice item to have. no fancy tires required.
Cuda911
^^^^ Thanks, Rhody. My asking price just went up to one million dollars.
rhodyguy
still too low...
euro911
laugh.gif

They're VW wheels, Kevin, not a 901 poke.gif
orthobiz
I was gonna start a thread wondering where all of the steel wheels went. Every set of Riviera wheels (I personally don't like them) means another set of steelies in the trash.

These wheels are great. They are period correct. They are easy to paint but do not powder coat them because the stuff gets in the deep furrow where the trim rings go.

Keep trying, someone will buy them.

If the COA on your car indicates no mag wheels, then you should have a set of these with skinny stock tires. My opinion only.

Paul
type47fan
I have made arrangements with Mike to hold these for me until I return to the area on July 25th. They're for my '76 that I'm returning to a more stock configuration. Thanks for working with me Mike!

euro911
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 17 2014, 06:47 AM) *
I was gonna start a thread wondering where all of the steel wheels went.
Paul
I know a set of rusty '71 steelies went onto a rusty red '71 SuperBeetle and took the place of a set of ATS Classics biggrin.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 17 2014, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 17 2014, 06:47 AM) *
I was gonna start a thread wondering where all of the steel wheels went.
Paul
I know a set of rusty '71 steelies went onto a rusty red '71 SuperBeetle and took the place of a set of ATS Classics biggrin.gif

Actually, if we could find the steelies I'll be there's a bunch of original rounded front valances along with them! (sorry for the hijack)

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.