Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flare DVD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
I have finally finished my do-it-yourself flare video.

Here is the description:

Custom Metal Bodywork #1 DVD is ready for shipping.

Stretching , shrinking, and smoothing sheet metal using simple tools and techniques.

Make fender flares by stretching the existing sheet metal.

Make flares from scratch using roll-forming.

Learn how to use a hammer and dolly.

Use a shrinking disc for custom shaping and metal-finishing.

Homemade tools, and using air tools to speed things up.

A little bit about design and using templates, and flow strips.

The main focus is on the Porsche 914, and the Karmann Ghia, but these techniques will work on a lot of different cars.

The DVD is $40 delivered in the US. It comes in a simple DVD sleeve to keep packaging and shipping costs down.

A small percentage of DVD players will not play DVD-R, but DVD players are cheap these days. If there is enough interest, I will make VHS tapes available as well.

Thank you for waiting for this DVD. I have complete control of Custom Metal Bodywork #2, so it should be available this summer. This is my first effort at video, so please forgive minor glitches in the video. Hundreds of hours went into making it.

Custom Metal Bodywork #2 will go into more detail on scratch built flares, showing more techniques for bending solid stock and tubing for edge structures, roll-forming metal over your leg (#1 has some of this) or a saw horse, stretching and smoothing metal off the car to speed up custom work. We will branch out to other custom projects that will help you make almost any body modification you desire.

Also in the works over the next year or so: A DVD on body work /dent repair, fixing oil-can dents, and metal-finishing for the do-it-yourselfer. Let me know if you are interested. Lots of interest will speed up the project.

I accept paypal using my email address: ghiafab@msn.com or a check made out to John Kelly:

John Kelly
13112 3rd NW
Seattle WA

Here is my album showing a little bit of the work (need to update it):

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

A special thank you to everyone on 914club for their support and encouragement!

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
aircooledboy
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Awesome news. Congrats John.

Just so you know, slight fiscal bottleneck here, so I won't be ordering for a week or two, but I am definitely in.

IPB Image
John Kelly
Above is the roll-forming method...there is some information about this technique in the DVD...more in the next one. The picture below is of fenders stretched on the car..no welding...this first DVD covers this method extensively.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com ghiafab@msn.com
Mueller
paypal payment just sent to you !!!!!
bondo
IPB Image AWRIGHT! I'll be getting one of these soon!
Bleyseng
Mueller, you should come up and attend the next class session! Boy, nothing like hands on experience. Banging away on some poor suckers, whoops, I mean a fine example of example of restoration and customizing.

Geoff IPB Image
bondo
Oh, and I'm interested in volume II as well IPB Image
scotty b
IPB Image Check yer e-mail cownsulurrr!! Can't wait! IPB Image IPB Image beatin and heatin IPB Image
Evill Ed
Okay, I sended my money fo' my copy.

Ed
drgchapman
Sending $$. Thanks for the effort. These things take an incredible amount of time. I'll watch, see if I can do this.....otherwise you'll get to do it.

Gary
McMark
PayPal sent.

Maybe we should get a group of bay area suckers together and give John a "vacation". Everyone chips in for airplane and then we have a weekend tech session. I could scare up a car to flare in about 10 minutes and we could have it at my shop where there is lots of room and we can work all night long if we want.
lapuwali
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 20 2005, 03:00 PM)
PayPal sent.

Maybe we should get a group of bay area suckers together and give John a "vacation". Everyone chips in for airplane and then we have a weekend tech session. I could scare up a car to flare in about 10 minutes and we could have it at my shop where there is lots of room and we can work all night long if we want.

I'd be willing to chip in for that, Mark. Fab idea...
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 20 2005, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 20 2005, 03:00 PM)
PayPal sent.

Maybe we should get a group of bay area suckers together and give John a "vacation".  Everyone chips in for airplane and then we have a weekend tech session.  I could scare up a car to flare in about 10 minutes and we could have it at my shop where there is lots of room and we can work all night long if we want.

I'd be willing to chip in for that, Mark. Fab idea...

Fab idea.....was that supposed to be funny??? IPB Image
sixnotfour
PayPal sent , IPB Image IPB Image
neo914-6
Do I get a percentage on DVD #2? IPB Image

Nevermind, PayPal sent... IPB Image
sixnotfour
You should add some drama and sell it to Discovery channel.

You could be Famous ?
dan10101
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 20 2005, 04:35 PM)
You should add some drama and sell it to Discovery channel.

You could be Famous ?

Yes.. We knew John when he was a nice guy. Not that guy who beats his kids on the Discovery channel... IPB Image

Paypal sent to the nice guy before Discovery corrupts him. IPB Image
nomore4
Hi John, Count me in on a copy. I'll send a money order.

Joe
type11969
Paypal payment sent, can't wait to get it!

-Chris
John Kelly
Thanks guys! DVDs on the way. I'm available for any questions that might come up after watching it several times. I have a number of metalshaping videos, and I usually get some nifty idea almost everytime I watch one...usually watch them 2-3 times to let the stuff sink in. I appreciate your support.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
charlesmac
IPB Image

As soon as i get some extra cash it'll be sent your direction.
shouldn't they call pay-day exchange-day instead?

charles
splashfx
I'm in! PayPal sent, and thanks John.
GaroldShaffer
I will be sending you a check next week. Please put me down for one.
cha914
John,

Paypal just sent...thanks again...and since you brought it up, care to recommend any other metal fab vids? I have alot of projects coming up where I could use some inspiration (most arn't car related).

Thanks again,

Tony IPB Image
John Kelly
Hi Tony,

Here are some of the resources at the end of the DVD... they have some of the best videos:

www.tinmantech.com

www.fournierenterprises.com

www.covell.biz

www.metalcrafttools.com

and the two best online resources:

www.metalshapers.org look through the albums, and you can buy most of the above videos
there if you want to help support the site.

www.metalmeet.com forum

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
scotty b
I highly recommend Ron covells series. The shop tour videos won't teach you a lot of technique, but if you have the interest and ability to build your own tools these videos show some interesting inventions and modifications other pros have done. IPB Image After the latest video I immediatly went to a junk yard to get an air brake to modify my hand shrinker!! IPB Image
splashfx
Awesome resource!!! You guys rock! IPB Image Thanks for the links!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.