Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: restoring wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
So, my late steelies need some love. I dont want to empty my pockets with a powdercoat, so i was thinking rattle can. What paints have you guys used or recommend? Also, how did you prep the wheels? I want the factory silver look.
reharvey
How rusty are they? Save yourself a lot of work and have them sand blasted to bare metal. It's the only way they'll really look good after you paint them.
dudzy's914
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jul 7 2014, 04:55 PM) *

How rusty are they? Save yourself a lot of work and have them sand blasted to bare metal. It's the only way they'll really look good after you paint them.

forgot that i was going to put them through the blaster. there is just some minor surface rust.
69telecaster
If they're rusty, sandblasting is the way to go. I did mine in a cabinet, but there may be a nearby blasting company...I've had bumpers done for just a few dollars if I took them to where they were working. If they're not rusty, just scuff them with a Scotch-Brite pad, clean with paint thinner, and spray.
I used Summit rattle-can "Argent Silver Wheel Paint"...it's an almost perfect match for the original. Hardware store "silver" seems to be too light.
Good luck.

cm
Mblizzard
This paint makes a nice wheel. Available at your FLAPS.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dudzy's914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Jul 7 2014, 05:11 PM) *

If they're rusty, sandblasting is the way to go. I did mine in a cabinet, but there may be a nearby blasting company...I've had bumpers done for just a few dollars if I took them to where they were working. If they're not rusty, just scuff them with a Scotch-Brite pad, clean with paint thinner, and spray.
I used Summit rattle-can "Argent Silver Wheel Paint"...it's an almost perfect match for the original. Hardware store "silver" seems to be too light.
Good luck.

cm

I'll just do them in my cabinet.
dudzy's914
If I sandblast the wheels, do I use self etching primer, or run sandpaper over the wheel and use regular primer/sealer?? What do I do after blasting?
69telecaster
QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jul 7 2014, 09:00 PM) *

If I sandblast the wheels, do I use self etching primer, or run sandpaper over the wheel and use regular primer/sealer?? What do I do after blasting?

Sandblasted surface really isn't good enough to paint directly. Etching primer will save a lot of elbow grease. Sanding is called for if you'll use 'regular' primer.
I've used a phosphate (acid) wash on some old truck rims to prep the blasted surface before 'regular' primer, but they've never been in the weather so I can't say yet how well it works.

cm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.