Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cayman? You're kiddin' me, right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rouser
Whilst trollin' around them "other" forums, I picked up the rumor that Porsche will call the future 987/Boxster coupe "Cayman." Can anybody here confirm this?

I can accept "Caveman," but Cayman rhymes with Gayman, and most 911ers think the Boxster is a girlie-girl car as it is. "Ooo, look, a Gayman S, in Mary Kay Pearl! Snicker, snicker..."

Who the hell sits in these Porsche naming meetings anyway? IPB Image
Rusty
Taken from RennTech.org

Bad translation from Auto Motor Und sport magazine

Porsche Boxster Coupé is called Cayman under the independent name Cayman brings to Porsche in the spring 2006 the Boxster Coupé on the market. World premiere is to already be on the Frankfurt IAA in the autumn 2005. The Porsche selling people want to position the Cayman - as it could be different - over the Boxster: both concerning the price and technically. Because of the Coupé body more rigid in relation to the open version the Cayman is to offer a still more precise and agileres handling than the Boxster. As motorizing at the beginning of only the s-version with 3,2-Liter-Sechszylinder and 320 HP one offers. In the case of cockpit organization and equipment there is to be however no considerable differences to the roadster. The model name Cayman wakes associations to crocodiles: Kaimane are an alligator kind.
Rusty
From http://www.bbv-net.de/public/article/nachr...hten/auto/75554

Neuer Cayman von Porsche
Stuttgart (rpo). Die neue Coupé-Variante des Boxster von Porsche soll auf den Namen Cayman hören. Das berichtet jedenfalls die Zeitschrift "Auto, Motor und Sport". Demnach soll die Premiere des Fahrzeugs für die IAA im September vorgesehen sein.
Auf den Markt komme der Zweisitzer dann im Frühjahr 2006. Ein Porsche-Sprecher in Stuttgart wollte den Bericht weder bestätigen noch dementieren.

Den Informationen zufolge soll der geschlossene Cayman technisch und preislich über dem Boxster-Roadster mit Stoffdach positioniert werden. Das Handling soll wegen der steiferen Karosserie präziser und agiler sein. Als Motor sei zunächst nur die S-Version mit 3,2-Liter- Sechszylinder und 235 kW/320 PS vorgesehen. Bei Cockpitgestaltung und Ausstattung soll es keine großen Unterschiede zum Boxster geben.
Jeroen
yeah, that's what I heard elsewhere today...
and it doesn't LOOK any better than it sounds either IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 20 2005, 04:02 PM)
yeah, that's what I heard elsewhere today...
and it doesn't LOOK any better than it sounds either IPB Image

well, the german pronunciation of "Cayman" doesn't sound anything like the American "gayman", so i guess they don't really know.

someone should email them and let them know!
IPB Image Andy

PS: i just ran a spellchecker (outlook) on this post and it *chocked* on the word "gayman" and suggested to replace it with "gagman" ... IPB Image
redshift
Uhhh.... try Caiman..

DUMB GERMANS!

IPB Image

M
scotty b
IPB Image Heiman?? anyone Heimen?? IPB Image
redshift
hehe..

It's still pronounced "Cayman"... IPB Image

M
GTeener
Can't read it but I can read "Cayman"

http://auto.t-online.de/c/32/57/35/3257354.html
GTeener
IPB Image
nebreitling
hmmm kinda looks like an audi....

cayman is f--king awful. far worse than cayenne (yeah, i get it. it's a f##king hot pepper. wow.)
vortrex
they really should just stick with numbers.
SirAndy
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jan 20 2005, 08:02 PM)
Can't read it but I can read "Cayman"

yes, but in German "Cayman" is spelled "Kaiman" and refers to a small crocodile like species ...

IPB Image

it is pronounced something like:

KI MOHN

the I like in Ice, the O like in Mother ...

IPB Image Andy
Andyrew
That rear window is just too long...

They wanted a boxter coupe.. just weld the hardtop on.. That would look nice....

But heck. Im not a designer.... (I like the look of a boxter with the hardtop on...)
Dr Evil
Funny, Cayman reminds me of off shore accounts that people use to evade the IRS. Ironic.
GTeener
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 20 2005, 11:08 PM)

They wanted a boxter coupe.. just weld the hardtop on.. That would look nice....

But heck. Im not a designer.... (I like the look of a boxter with the hardtop on...)

IPB Image
scotty b
Ki mohn? Hey Mon IPB Image
GTeener
What's wrong with calling it a Boxster Coupe?
Jeroen
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 21 2005, 09:08 AM)

IPB Image
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 21 2005, 12:18 AM)
Funny, Cayman reminds me of off shore accounts that people use to evade the IRS. Ironic.

That was my thought, the Islands http://www.caymanislands.ky/
What are they thinking with these names, sheesh. The boxster (OK), the pepper wagon (worse) and now a Island-mobile (worst).

BTW that picture above is a photoshop.
richardL
Autocar had its name as the 'C7S'

Cayman is a horrible name IPB Image

Richard
Rouser
WHY can't Porsche just refer to the ragtop version as the "Boxster/Boxster-S" or "987/987-S" and the new coupe as the "987C and 987C-S? No stupid Gayman, Crockadoodle, Suffers-in-Translation name.

Spare us ... spare us all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.