Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodyear 30R9 vs Gates Barricade Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
A year or more ago I contacted Goodyear re: the new 30R9 fuel hose. They sent me some samples and I installed some on the type4 that was in my '73. I felt obligated to buy from Goodyear because of their good PR but "felt" I should buy from a member vendor so Tangerine sent 10' of Gates Barricade which I installed on the Suby in "Little Frankie". As well as a 2' of 30R9 along side it so we'll see which last longer.
The big difference between the two is stiffness. 30R9 is very soft,it has an even softer inner lining and crimps in tight turns. The Barricade is noticeably tougher stuff. I don't think worm type hose clamps would hurt this stuff, either. You could probably drag a section down the road 100 miles before it wore. And when installing 5/16" over the the teeners steel lines, it is a tighter fit.
If you haven't already converted your fuel lines these are some things to keep in mind. I haven't found metric sized lines yet so be prepared to go 5/16" or 1/4". The injector elbows crimp if using 30R9 cut the same length as OEM elbow so go longer. Gates may not make a sharp bend for the elbows so you may have to lengthen it also but I'm not sure. It's very resistant to crimping. If stretching 1/4" 30R9 over injectors be sure not to tear the inner lining. When you increase to 5/16" you "can" re-use the old FI hose clamps but I really wouldn't recommend it. IT is a Royal PITA making them fit. Especially over the Barricade. It will not give. Know that there is a 30R9 and a 30R7. One is cheaper and for carbs or low pressure. Same with Gates but I don't know the name/number of their product.
If you are in an area selling 5/10, or now 15% blended fuel and have the old lines you can think of them as "Fool Lines".
Java2570
I've been curious about this difference as well....I'm redoing all my fuel lines with SS and using Goodyear
30R9 hose that I got at Summit Racing. I'm kind of annoyed that the Goodyear hose is made in Czech
Republic or something like that. I think the hose Chris @ Tangerine sells is US made and does seem better.
I got some woven metal sheathing to put on my hose that bends up by the tank....we'll see if it helps the lines not kink up. Doesn't the Gates Barricade say it's spec'd for 30R9? I think the description I saw for it online mentions that it is or that it's rated for 10 bar pressure or something. They also have some rated for lower pressure that maybe comparable to 30R7.
914_teener
I have both in my car for two years with no problems yet.

I check them out especially at the end of Summer.

I have heard Kent that Goodyear does not sell the 30R9 rated hose West of the Mississippi any longer. Is that true?

I have noticed that the Gates does seem stiffer and does seem to "cinch" up better.

My .02
76-914
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jul 7 2014, 06:00 PM) *

I've been curious about this difference as well....I'm redoing all my fuel lines with SS and using Goodyear
30R9 hose that I got at Summit Racing. I'm kind of annoyed that the Goodyear hose is made in Czech
Republic or something like that. I think the hose Chris @ Tangerine sells is US made and does seem better.
I got some woven metal sheathing to put on my hose that bends up by the tank....we'll see if it helps the lines not kink up. Doesn't the Gates Barricade say it's spec'd for 30R9? I think the description I saw for it online mentions that it is or that it's rated for 10 bar pressure or something. They also have some rated for lower pressure that maybe comparable to 30R7.

Yes, the Gates Barricade is their equivalent of 30R9. My tank fuel lines now run to the top of the tank so I didn't think about the lines beneath that most have to deal with. Good point as this is a good place for the stiffer Barricade.

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 8 2014, 08:21 AM) *

I have both in my car for two years with no problems yet.

I check them out especially at the end of Summer.

I have heard Kent that Goodyear does not sell the 30R9 rated hose West of the Mississippi any longer. Is that true?

I have noticed that the Gates does seem stiffer and does seem to "cinch" up better.

My .02

I don't know if the factory is no longer selling west of the Ol' Miss but there is tons of it on Ebay and Amazon. Trying to understand why they would not?? Surely they have the E85 blend east of the Mississippi. I did the left fuel rail in 30R9 and the right side in Bartricade. Should be an apples to apples thing as each side has equal heat values on the Suby engine. Have you noticed any differences on the exterior?
Support Your Member Vendors!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.