Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I buy this 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triumph TR
Found a 1975 914 that was driven and used for auto cross. Elderly owner purchased the car in 1981
Body is solid and re paint in silver is a 8 out of ten
FI removed and Replaced with Webers
Will nd new seat covers and door cards
He'll hole is intact
Passenger door sticks when someone is sitting in the seat
Car was lowered and is sitting on mini lite wheels
Have not driven the car, his widow is vy protective
One rust hole spoted in the lower inside fender
Price $9000

Any advise would be welcomed.

Thks
PlantMan
QUOTE(Triumph TR @ Jul 8 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Found a 1975 914 that was driven and used for auto cross. Elderly owner purchased the car in 1981
He'll hole is intact
Price $9000

Thks

Do you have any pics/link that can be accessed? Sticky door?
Sounds like a lot of money.
Triumph TR
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Jul 8 2014, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Triumph TR @ Jul 8 2014, 07:30 PM) *

He'll hole is intact
Price $9000

Thks

Do you have any pics/link that can be accessed? Sticky door?
Sounds like a lot of money.

No pics....
speed metal army
Passenger door sticks when someone is sitting in the seat? Possible rotten longitudinal..
Big PITA and if so, not a 9k$ car..
GaroldShaffer
The passenger door shouldn't stick when someone is sitting the passenger seat. Sounds like the car may have rusty / weak longitude on that side. Can you pull the rocker cover and see the long? I would bet it is rusty. Is it a 1.8L or 2.0L?

At $9k it shouldn't have any major issues (aka rust issues).
Triumph TR
It's a 2.0

Can't pull off the covers, the owner is vy protective of the car. Thanks for all the replies, think I'll wait.
toolguy
An honest seller should know of issues and disclose, especially where you have a strong suspicion there is a problem such as this. Especially in the $9000 range, it should have no outstanding issues. . Easier way to tell is jack up the car using the rear body pad, and watch the door gaps at the top. . if it gets wider, you got a problem. .
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Triumph TR @ Jul 8 2014, 08:25 PM) *

It's a 2.0

Can't pull off the covers, the owner is vy protective of the car. Thanks for all the replies, think I'll wait.

welcome.png

Sounds like a car with sentimental value that needs a lot of work. If the longs are rusty, that is a $1500 car in California at the most.

Run away!
cpavlenko
agree.gif
zambezi
I agree with the above. That is 7000.00 worth of sentiment and around 2000.00 of car.
Olympic 914
I saw it also...Just the ad... I'm not in the market but the pictures made it look nice. Maybe you can peek under at the longs with a flashlight. I agree that the doors should not stick. mine was pretty bad and the doors still opened nicely.

Pics
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

76-914
Run Forest, run! I smell deceit! If I ever sell either one of mine I would gladly remove the rockers for inspection. Seriously, the binding psg door is telling you to get the Hell out of there or to purchase a welder. Your choice.
The Metal Surgeon
id be on the eye of caution.If the owner wont let you dig around the car,walk away.
Chris H.
Yeah a door not opening when weight is in the car= BAD. Hope that bra hasn't been on there the whole time...they tend to mess up the paint underneath if you never take them off.
Spoke
I'm in Monroeville often so if you want someone to look at it with you I'd be glad to take a peek at it.
sean_v8_914
run away!
rusty is as rusty does.
Spoke
Craigslist Ad
brant
same old broken record....

pull the rocker covers before buying any car!

Big Len
It could be that the longs are shot, but it also could be the window rubber is distorted. You need to go with someone who knows what to look for. I wouldn't pass on this until a proper inspection is done.

And you're dealing with a person who is very sentimental about the car. If you believe the car to be ok, you're going to have to make her believe you're the right guy to take care of it.
Drums66
....NO... idea.gif(for reasons already conveyed)
bye1.gif
billh1963
Has a/c... nice

FI gone...bad

true understanding of amount of rust is critical
Triumph TR
Thanks again for all the replies and offers to look at the car. With all the advise from the forum I am going to pass on this 914.
On a side note, the car is being sold by the owners elderly widow who worships the vehicle and truly not hiding anything. She believes it's a #1!
If anyone knows of a nice 2.0 in the Western PA, sd me an email.
budk
QUOTE(Triumph TR @ Jul 9 2014, 10:30 PM) *

She believes it's a #1!

It sounds more like a #2 stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.