Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: center tunnel ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I need some advise ...... I got my 914 project dug out of the corner of the garage and started looking over a few things before I started to weld in the new floor pans. Was checking the tubes in the tunnel that the cables run through and figured out why this car didn't have a throttle cable in it when I got it! Looks like the D.P.O. tried replacing it and got part of it or something else stuck about halfway down the tube .... I have tried to drive a piece of rod through it from both ends and it won't go. Even a small piece of wire won't go through. mad.gif Question is ...should I replace the whole tube with a piece of steel tubing or can I just cut out the section that is plugged and splice it back ?? thanks in advance ....David
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(David_S @ May 30 2003, 07:53 PM)
Question is ...should I replace the whole tube with a piece of steel tubing or can I just cut out the section that is plugged and splice it back ?? thanks in advance ....David

Yes. tongue.gif

If you splice it you may still have trouble sliding the cable through. You could try that first and if it doesn't come out right try the other way. If you replace the tube, braze it don't weld it. That's how the factory did it, since welding might overpenetrate and make it impossible to slide the cable through.
GWN7
Replacing just a section will leave ruff edges on the inside of the tube where the welds are. The sliding cable will file them down over time along with itself. I'd try and replace the whole tube.
Brad Roberts
Shoot brake cleaner or WD40 down the tube. I'm betting your running into a rust buildup. Take a coat hanger and jam it in and out with the WD40 or brake cleaner in the tube.

Where is Dimmitt ?? I lived in Arlington for 20+ years.

B
David_S
Thanks for the info! My idea was to replace the whole tube anyway. Tried the wd40 and coat hanger already and got nothing. The old throttle cable was in the front trunk with one end missing, that is why I am thinking that is what is in the tube. May have to cut it open after I get it replaced !

Brad, Dimmitt is about halfway between Lubbock and Amarillo and about 30 miles west.
watsonrx13
David, please post your procedure and pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.