Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Restoration?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
Does anyone have photos of their top that has been restored? I am considering sanding the texture down and painting it black (gloss?) Would love to see some photos of your sanded and textured restored tops to help me decide which route to choose.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jul 9 2014, 12:44 PM) *

Does anyone have photos of their top that has been restored? I am considering sanding the texture down and painting it black (gloss?) Would love to see some photos of your sanded and textured restored tops to help me decide which route to choose.

Here is a picture of my '74 with a 914Rubber Plexiglas roof - looks like gloss black from the right angle and squint a little.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Hawk
Try Forever Black, 3 coats, spread over opposite directions. Maintains original texture. Dried satin black. Very pleased.
Photo now-
JawjaPorsche
Had mine done with Line-X, truck bed paint. Looks great! Also very durable.
patssle
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 9 2014, 12:06 PM) *

Had mine done with Line-X, truck bed paint. Looks great! Also very durable.

Same here. Had mine done 3 years ago and still looks great. It's a tad shiny with certain angles of the sun...but no big deal.
dlkawashima
I just had mine done by Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto. It took several tries and I know Scott was getting a little frustrated but he stuck with it. I wouldn't say that it's perfect but the texture is about as close to original as any refinished top I've seen. It was sanded smooth and then retextured. The finish is a low sheen satin. I'm very happy with the results. Click the image to supersize it ...

Click to view attachment
Krieger
I had my factor top sanded down, rain gutters were filled in then painted gloss black. It looks like the Saratoga top without the disadvantages.
Cfletch
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 9 2014, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jul 9 2014, 12:44 PM) *

Here is a picture of my '74 with a 914Rubber Plexiglas roof - looks like gloss black from the right angle and squint a little.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

where on the website do they have these for sale? I like the look, but not sure where to look lol
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jul 9 2014, 11:00 PM) *

where on the website do they have these for sale? I like the look, but not sure where to look lol

914rubber.com ... Mark Whitesell. He goes by Mikey914 on this site.

----------------------------------

Another option for your consideration, this is a carbon fiber look vinyl wrap.
IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jul 10 2014, 12:00 AM) *

I don't think Mark (Mikey914 - 914Rubber.com) keeps them in inventory - they are a bit pricey to have sitting on the shelf. He will probably announce here on 914World the next time he is going to make a run. I would contact him.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Hawk @ Jul 9 2014, 12:05 PM) *

Try Forever Black, 3 coats, spread over opposite directions. Maintains original texture. Dried satin black. Very pleased.
Photo now-

Thanks for the tip...I'll have to try that one!
I used to use the old back-to-black but haven't been able to find it for years...new stuff isn't as good.
Emmel
Glasurit makes an additive that you will put in a black base and top coated with satin clear,522-345 is the number for the texture,3 coats will achieve the original finish if mixed correctly. If top coated with high solids satin clear there is no doubt you'll get 20+ years out of the finish if taking care of.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.