Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats your take converting from enjetor to carb's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tman914
was planing on converting my fuel system to duel carb's system and what should i be looking at when doing this its a stock 2.0 liter engine .
just putting to much cash every year in this old system and parts are getting hard to find .
Whats your guys take
GeorgeRud
Unless you're taking things apart to change the camshaft and pistons, there is no benefit to getting rid of the fuel injection system.

Clean all your electrical connections and grounds, check your hoses ( both fuel and vacuum), and keep the fuel injection.

If it's really too far gone, recycle the parts for others and convert to a Megasquirt fuel injection system.
Rand
One of the most talked about subjects around here. You'll find some good reads if you want to dig through the search feature.

In terms of general tech, of course FI is superior. In a 914 a lot of rebuilds exceed the optimal capability of the stock FI. I'd rather switch to a modern aftermarket FI system than to carbs.

If you've already spent a lot of money on your current FI, why through that away? Just a thought. Only so much to go wrong with it and often problems are not parts, but maintenance.
Mblizzard
I recently converted from carbs back to FI. I think that unless you build an engine from the cam up to run carbs, you don't gain much if any on the conversion. With the exception of the ECU and MPS the cost of the FI parts are reasonable.

Look around you can get rebuilt fuel injectors off Amazon for $33, Dave Sprinkle makes a great TPS board for $35, and many of the other parts can be repaired.

Post what you need here and I am sure you will find the parts you need.

And by the way, carbs aren't exactly trouble free.
damesandhotrods
If you’re spending too much cash every year on your fuel injection, it sounds like you need to change your mechanics instead of your fuel system.

Before you change, do a search of the forum and look into what it takes to set up a pair of carbs and tune them…
76-914
Yep. Thanks to Dave S., Dave D. and Chris F. aka Tangerine Racing, one is able to keep the OEM DJet FI. ECU's last forever, relay boards are readily accessible and rebuildable, AAR's are serviceable and not that necessary if you delete it, same with the cold start valve, trigger points are out there as are the temp sensors, rebuilt harness' (ty DD), new MAP diaphragms from Chris, installed and tested by DD or Bleyseng. There isn't any argument for trashing these systems unless you want to upgrade say to MS. With the blended gasoline's there is no reason to downgrade to carb's. IMHO
monkeyboy
FWIW, my car came with no induction at all. I slapped on some Dells that I had that were practically new.

After spending at least 300.00 in jets trying to get them tuned in as good as possible, they are still marginal. I have bought all the manifolds and I am working on a Megasquirt conversion.

Carbs are a step backwards, a huge step on a stock motor. If you want to change things move forward.
Tman914
thanks guys
saigon71
agree.gif

Hang in there with the fuel injection. It's worth the investment.

Same model year, same engine. Car has been my daily driver since the salt cleared from the roads with a stock 2.0 D-Jet. Very solid performance and 27 MPG combined highway and running it hard.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.