Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center cap installation and removal tools, under $5, at Home Depot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
OK, I got a new set of center caps, and the good people at 914World recommended using a piece of PVC pipe to protect them during the install.

Just thought I'd pass this on (I'm a newbie here, so if this is 20-year old info., please move on to the next thread).

Over in the plumbing fittings section, they have two small pieces that look like they were OEM-designed to install and remove the caps.

The black one fits perfectly around the outside rim of the cap, and the white one fits perfectly in the inside for cap removal. Less than $5 total.

I bet Pelican could package the two parts up and sell them as a cap installation/removal kit for $50. I bet the Porsche parts department could sell them for $200 (after all, they sell that wire cap removal tool for the flat caps, for $30, when a piece of coat hanger works equally as well).
dlkawashima
Hi Mike, good to know. How about a hint as to what the parts are ... SKU or size, diameter ... something like that so we know to buy. I suppose I could take a center cap with me ...
Cuda911
I just checked... it was Lowes, not Home Depot, so the part numbers may be different at HD.

At Lowes:

Black part: "2-in x 1-1/2-in ABS Coupler", part # 22805. $2.45

White part: "1-1/4-in SCH40 Coupler 42901", part # 23854 $0.60

I tried gently tapping the caps on before I bought these... there was no way at all I could get them on without significant risk of damage. The black piece allowed me to smack the caps pretty good around the edges, with a rubber mallet, with no risk of damage.

Oh, I also smeared the inner cap rim with some suntan lotion (didn't have any grease handy, and figured the lotion was less messy anyways), to help get the caps on. I used Banana Boat SPF 50. smile.gif
brant
Trekkor would be proud
Krieger
Nice work! Lets get a group buy going idea.gif
bulitt
welcome.png

Well thought out, cheap, effective , home-made tools which fly in the face of high priced factory items. You are now officially a member of the World. aktion035.gif
ericoneal
Do you have a source on that centercap Porsche crest?
ClayPerrine
Uh... guys.....

I did this about 10 years ago. We keep the set in the front trunk of Betty's car.

2007 Thread on Center Cap removal

Cuda911
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 10 2014, 05:20 AM) *

Do you have a source on that centercap Porsche crest?

I bought them from a guy here on 914World (I bought the caps, which already had the crest on them).

But, here's a place I HIGHLY recommend for all things 914:

TC's Garage:

http://www.tcsgarage.com/

TCsGarage Parts & Accessories
TCsGarage
1315 Hot Springs Way #105
Vista, CA 92081
(760) 295-3330
tcsgarage.com

The owner, Tom, is a 914 guru of the highest order. And, he has been involved with buying and selling 914 parts for many, many years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.