Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The parking lights (or marker lights) come when the headlight switch is pulled out 1 stop; during daylight driving, I turn these on. When I park and turn off the ignition, the lights stay on if I don't push the headlight switch in.

I want the those lights to go off when the ignition is off,; I've looked at the wiring diagrams, but need some help.
69telecaster
Generally speaking, I would recommend a small relay in the line to the lights, triggered from the ignition switch. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but it should be do-able.

cm
Dave_Darling
What year car?

If I read the 74 wiring diagram correctly, I think all you have to do is unplug the red wire from terminal #30 on the switch, and hook a "switched power" wire in its place. It looks like fuse #8 can supply that.

I'm not sure how much more power that circuit can handle, though. It might be a good idea to stick a relay in the circuit to deal with the extra power.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 10 2014, 06:21 AM) *

What year car?

If I read the 74 wiring diagram correctly, I think all you have to do is unplug the red wire from terminal #30 on the switch, and hook a "switched power" wire in its place. It looks like fuse #8 can supply that.

I'm not sure how much more power that circuit can handle, though. It might be a good idea to stick a relay in the circuit to deal with the extra power.

--DD

I did this with the fog lights so they act as running lights if I leave the switch on. I do not recall the details, but the headlights go off when the ignition switch is turned off. So I ran the power for the parking lights through the fuse that sends power to the headlights. I suspect that this was the power for the headlight relay, so adding in a relay would be a wise precaution. They don't draw a lot of power, but why add load to the key?

I think there is an explanation in the brown book by George Hussey IV.
jim_hoyland
It's a '75
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 10 2014, 07:21 AM) *

What year car?

--DD

Makes sense smile.gif where does the red wire at 30 come from ?
r_towle
Be careful to not run to much "more" power through the ignition switch.
Use a relay.

Rich
Black22
It illeagal to "DRIVE" with "PARKING" lights on Jim.

GeorgeRud
I'd also recommend using the fog lights instead of the parking lights - they should be much more visible to other drivers and no legal problems. I don't know what the wiring differences would be, but it should be a simple circuit so they only come on when the car is running.
worn
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 11 2014, 04:20 AM) *

I'd also recommend using the fog lights instead of the parking lights - they should be much more visible to other drivers and no legal problems. I don't know what the wiring differences would be, but it should be a simple circuit so they only come on when the car is running.

OOhhh. A reason for adding the rear fog light! I suggesting calling Eric for advice on that or read about it in his interview in Pano. The parking lights already have a relay so that is a plus.

Is it really illegal to drive with just the parking lights? That seems so weird. Is it because they are mistaken as indicators? Otherwise at least you have something to catch the eye at each corner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.