Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a street 914... Which model/year and what should I pay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deputydog95
I have a 1970 914-6 GT race car. it's a conversion of course. Nobody in their right mind would gut a real 914-6 and race it smile.gif

Unfortunately it's so different from the street cars, I'm finding that I'm completely starting from scratch when it comes to shopping for a street car.

I know I want a sideshift tranny... So it's going to be a 73-76.

Other than that, what should I be scouting for and what should I pay?

Prices seem to be all over the place!

I want something rust free and desirable enough where I can turn around and sell it quick if need be and not lose money.

Thoughts?
messix
the one that has the least rust and is in the best condition that you can afford.

money ahead in that endeavor.

just think of how much it would cast to fix minor rust in a body shop, and how much all the stuff that is missing or needs reconditioning costs.

you could be money ahead in buying a 12-15k$ really nice car compared to a $5k ok driver with some rust and a tired engine.
deputydog95
QUOTE(messix @ Jul 11 2014, 01:19 AM) *

the one that has the least rust and is in the best condition that you can afford.

money ahead in that endeavor.

just think of how much it would cast to fix minor rust in a body shop, and how much all the stuff that is missing or needs reconditioning costs.

you could be money ahead in buying a 12-15k$ really nice car compared to a $5k ok driver with some rust and a tired engine.

Agreed. I have a decent budget. I don't want a project car.

Is the 2 liter car going to be far more solid both in terms in performance and appreciation?

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 11 2014, 02:11 AM) *

Is the 2 liter car going to be far more solid both in terms in performance and appreciation?

How about a really nice 914-6 GT 3.0 conversion street car to sit next to your race car?

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2014, 06:11 AM) *

How about a really nice 914-6 GT 3.0 conversion street car to sit next to your race car?

Click to view attachment

That is a beauty!
Porschef
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2014, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 11 2014, 02:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

drooley.gif factorial
GeorgeRud
I would suggest that the best, cleanest 73 or 74 914 2.0 you can find would be the best for performance and potential appreciation.

However, if you have a 914-6GT conversion, you will be disappointed in the performance. I had the same idea as you did ( to get myself a 914 for a daily driver), found a clean 73 914 1.7. As I was used to my 914-6, I only drove it for a short while until I started upon a conversion. Now it's a 2.7RS engined GT look monster. It's a slippery slope, be careful what you wish for!Click to view attachment
boxstr
Check my ad in the cars fs, 1975 914 2.0 Grand Prix White.
Craig at CAMP
mtndawg
1973 2.0L as much as you can afford. It seems like $8,000 to S10,000 should buy something decent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.