Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me buy a 914 please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deputydog95
I have a 914-6 (clone) race car currently. Fun car, not street legal. And even if it was it's silly expensive to run with the engine that's in it.

I've been racing the car for a little over a year now, and I'm still struggling with the gearbox. And it's getting pricey when I make mistakes. Zing!!! Ouch. I'd like to get a bunch of seat time on the road with a 901 gearbox so that it becomes second nature. It's just too hard to learn a box like this under race conditions.

I've got a flexible budget to a certain degree, meaning I'm ok with 15-20k for the right car.

My only parameters are that if I want to sell the car in 6 months to a year after it's served it's purpose, I can flip it pretty quickly and get my money back out of it.

What should I buy (ie year, engine config, any specific options)? I'm trying to avoid any sort of project car, or something that will sit in the For Sale sections for months.

Thoughts?

tooms351
For that price range, come take a look at my car and spend a day at the beach! Its a 72 with a 327 sbc conversion, a real sleeper.Click to view attachment
green914
welcome.png
deputydog95
QUOTE(tooms351 @ Jul 11 2014, 09:33 AM) *

For that price range, come take a look at my car and spend a day at the beach! Its a 72 with a 327 sbc conversion, a real sleeper.Click to view attachment

That's a beautiful car! Unfortunately I need something that has the 901 box so I can master my double clutching in this butter churn of a transmission smile.gif
deputydog95
QUOTE(green914 @ Jul 11 2014, 11:49 AM) *

welcome.png

Thank you!
deputydog95
Here's a pic of my current 914. It's got a highly modified 2 liter six in it, making around 250hp. Click to view attachment
deputydog95
Unfortunately none of my knowledge of race 914's, translates into the purchase of a street car.

Would you guys consider the 2 liter 73-74 to be the most desirable? And if so, what is the going price for a nice clean one in good running condition with low miles?
Big Len
A really nice 2L, no rust, mechanically sound (whatever that means), original fuel injection, some options like alloys, gauges, etc) few paint interior and body flaws will run in the ballpark $12K and up. There is little limit at the top because of originality, mileage, how many owners, paperwork, etc, but typically I haven't seen too many above $20K.

I believe 914 prices are steadily but slowly climbing as a whole.
Mike Bellis
Why not just replace the transaxle with a sequential shift Mendeola?

http://mendeolamotors.com/trans-proto/?opt...7&Itemid=29

It fits into your budget and will make your shifting super fast and accurate... driving.gif
Cuda911
Cross-post from my reply on Rennlist. Figured it might be of use to others reading this thread. Also, I forgot to add a link to my 914 hunt thread on 914World, so I added it below.

Andrew, check out my 914 threads:

http://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6...ent-914-a.html

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=236672&hl=

Here's some quick price guidance:

1. Under 5K: generally pretty darn rough.

2. 10K: Very drivable, looks good, condition good, cosmetic issues like seals, some paint issues, but overall very acceptable car.

3. 15K: Starting to get into the turf of very, very nice cars.

4. Over 20K: outstanding cars.

Of course, there are always exceptions, but that should give you at least a general idea of what to expect, in my opinion.

For best resale value, '73 2.0 or '74 2.0 with the appearance group. But, you will have few cars to choose from when buying. I started my search looking for that, but ended up buying a '74 1.8. Am very pleased with it.
ablesnead
No matter what Ron told you its waay around 250 hp...or magic smile.gif
rick 918-S
Check the classifieds here. There are several cars in the price range your looking for. I specially like the one at Camp 914 that Craig is offering right now. Well within your range and maybe a bargain.

OH! welcome.png
Cairo94507
If I were looking for another 914, it would definitely be '73-'74 2.0 appearance group car with all the factory parts. For me, that is the other 914 I would want if my wife wouldn't kill me or if I won the lottery.
deputydog95
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 11 2014, 05:28 PM) *

Why not just replace the transaxle with a sequential shift Mendeola?

http://mendeolamotors.com/trans-proto/?opt...7&Itemid=29

It fits into your budget and will make your shifting super fast and accurate... driving.gif

If it were legal to do so in my class, I would make that swap in a heartbeat without giving it a second thought.
deputydog95
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jul 11 2014, 09:56 PM) *

No matter what Ron told you its waay around 250 hp...or magic smile.gif

You don't think it has that much power? I didn't build the car originally (could never have afforded to) but it has a 50k+ engine it in it. I've had to do some major repairs lately and I don't doubt that figure at this point after what I've spent just to fix it. I think the heads alone were around 15k. Nuts!

2 liter 6 cylinder
Extreme Heads
Some Special Exhaust
Titanium Connecting Rods
Honda Race Bearings
Knife Edged/Cross Drilled Crank
Custom Case Work by JB
GT3 Oil Pump
Tilton Clutch
Etc etc etc...

Made it on to the podium a bunch of times with HSR at various tracks. The car is very very fast and Ron's shop is exceptional with air cooled race motors.

I have a friend with a 3 liter 911 right now that is breaking class records left and right after Ron redid the engine. All class legal. So maybe it is magic smile.gif
deputydog95
Seems like 73 to 74, 2 liter, appearance group is the ticket.

And I may have a lead on one locally, that was previously owned and is currently owned by a 914 World Member.

I'm going to keep checking the classifieds as the one referenced above is still under cosmetic repair at the moment.

So we'll see.

This seems like a great board, with a lot more activity than Rennlist.
deputydog95
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 11 2014, 10:51 PM) *

Check the classifieds here. There are several cars in the price range your looking for. I specially like the one at Camp 914 that Craig is offering right now. Well within your range and maybe a bargain.

OH! welcome.png

Do you have a link to that? I went through both pages and didn't see any offerings by either a Craig or Camp914
KELTY360
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 12 2014, 07:18 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 11 2014, 10:51 PM) *

OH! welcome.png

Do you have a link to that? I went through both pages and didn't see any offerings by either a Craig or Camp914

Go to his website, or better yet just contact him. Never know what Craig may have in the works that he hasn't told anybody about.

Camp914
sdthomas
FTFY

http://www.camp914.com/carsforsale.html
ablesnead
Nice motor , Around 180 hp probably....
deputydog95
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jul 12 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Why do you base your estimate on?

The car does 227's at Sebring on Hoosiers. You'd be hard pressed to pull that time around Sebring in a 2100 pound car with only 180hp.

901 Shop and a couple others are building 250 plus HP race 2 liter-6 motors as well.

Unless they're all fibbing smile.gif
deputydog95
What would you guys pay for:

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior
Fitted with carbs but does come with the fuel injection parts
Fresh professional paint in the original color

Seller is looking for $21k.

The car does not have a COA and I'm not certain the mileage is documented, but there's every reason to believe it's accurate.

Is that price reasonable?

Cuda911
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 12 2014, 03:50 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

The car does not have a COA and I'm not certain the mileage is documented, but there's every reason to believe it's accurate.

I wouldn't pay that with carbs, personally. And, when 914 shopping, I found that the vast majority of people claiming under 100K miles were either lying or were just ignorant of the car, and that the odometer had been around at least once.

For 21k I would want a damn fine and clean unmolested car.
mepstein
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 12 2014, 06:50 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

Sounds like the car that TC is selling. Blue car named Betsey.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2014, 07:29 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

Yes Mark, and the mileage is verifiable, ask me how I know. Extremely solid car and well proven. She has been looked over and checked out by many here on this board like Ed Morrow, Erc Shea, Mike Moorman and many others well educated in teeners. The only issues the car had, TC is addressing with new paint, carpet and some rubber from 914rubber.com. Comes with plenty of original documentation including original sales receipt. A car worthy of owning.

Just my .02 worth.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
deputydog95
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2014, 08:29 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

Yep, that's the one. Amazing what a small world this place is. I don't think it's even listed yet smile.gif
deputydog95
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 13 2014, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2014, 07:29 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

Yes Mark, and the mileage is verifiable, ask me how I know. Extremely solid car and well proven. She has been looked over and checked out by many here on this board like Ed Morrow, Erc Shea, Mike Moorman and many others well educated in teeners. The only issues the car had, TC is addressing with new paint, carpet and some rubber from 914rubber.com. Comes with plenty of original documentation including original sales receipt. A car worthy of owning.

Just my .02 worth.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

What would you pay for it after he's done?

Should there be a COA with it at that price?
carr914
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 13 2014, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2014, 08:29 PM) *

2 Liter
Rust Free
45k Miles
Clean Interior

Yep, that's the one. Amazing what a small world this place is. I don't think it's even listed yet smile.gif

I'm back on the Forum, so you can Contact me here or via the eMail that you have.

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 12 2014, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jul 12 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Why do you base your estimate on?

The car does 227's at Sebring on Hoosiers. You'd be hard pressed to pull that time around Sebring in a 2100 pound car with only 180hp.

901 Shop and a couple others are building 250 plus HP race 2 liter-6 motors as well.

Unless they're all fibbing smile.gif

250 can be done, but it has to all be done right! The 2.0 Class in HSR is filled with Guys with $50k Motors that are High-Strung. A Stock 69S Motor was 180hp, so 250 can be done. When Mike at JB built my 2.5 Twin-Plug he went for Torque - it ended up at 215 HP, 195 Torque

Click to view attachment

My 2.8 TP that Mike also built is 320HP - it was $45k

Click to view attachment

deputydog95
agree.gif

I didn't build mine, but the guy who did spent around $50-55k.

Now I'm financially tasked with keeping it running.

Should have gone spec miata racing instead beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
For $21K I would want a COA and the factory FI on and the car running perfectly. I am sure that TC's car is nice- he knows his way around 914's in his sleep.
deputydog95
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 18 2014, 08:33 AM) *

For $21K I would want a COA and the factory FI on and the car running perfectly. I am sure that TC's car is nice- he knows his way around 914's in his sleep.

agree.gif

Finding a numbers matching with a COA, rust free car, with no
issues is becoming quite the task. I did't think it would be this hard.

I have a feeling this is goingto take a while...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 18 2014, 07:39 AM) *

agree.gif

If you were interested in performance over provenance, and your budget was a little bigger, I have just the ticket:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 18 2014, 08:33 AM) *

IMHO, CoA's aren't worth the Paper they are written on. There are way too many Mistakes. One of my 914-6's they got the Interior Incorrect and even after I proved it to PCNA, they would not correct it. My 74 Carrera RS, they could not even identify it as a Carrera and it was so simple as the VIN # was different for Carreras.

As far as my Car, I've got the Original Window Sticker which Trumps the CoA!
Cairo94507
TC- I would want the COA just to see if the engine is the matching number engine. Maybe the transaxle will be listed too. Other than that I am sure your car is an excellent 2.0.
deputydog95
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 18 2014, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 18 2014, 07:39 AM) *

agree.gif

If you were interested in performance over provenance, and your budget was a little bigger, I have just the ticket:

That car looks amazing. Great color too. Is it a 914-6?
ChrisFoley
Its a conversion, 3.0 carbed.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 18 2014, 10:53 AM) *

TC- I would want the COA just to see if the engine is the matching number engine. Maybe the transaxle will be listed too. Other than that I am sure your car is an excellent 2.0.

I bought TC's car from the man that bought it off the showroom floor. There has been no engine swap, the car is well documented so in my opinion, A COA would be a waste of money, unless you just want some more crap to hang on your wall. The car does run perfectly and is very well proven by myself, even though it is running dual Webers. TC does have stock injection to go back on the car if the buyer wishes to go that route.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
OK well that would be good enough for me. I know it is a good car already; I was just wanting to make sure the engine number was correct. Thanks. Now please stop talking about TC's car before I get crazy and call him.....
deputydog95
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 19 2014, 11:32 PM) *

I bought TC's car from the man that bought it off the showroom floor. There has been no engine swap, the car is well documented so in my opinion, A COA would be a waste of money, unless you just want some more crap to hang on your wall. The car does run perfectly and is very well proven by myself, even though it is running dual Webers. TC does have stock injection to go back on the car if the buyer wishes to go that route.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

I like Betsy aka TC's car. A lot. The color is great.

However, at his asking price I'd prefer to have a COA, the inner front right inner fender properly repaired, and the factory fuel injection re installed.

I'm not saying his price is unreasonable, but it's for sure on the very high end of the spectrum, relatively speaking.
carr914
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 20 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Shoe
beerchug.gif

However, at his asking price I'd prefer to have a COA, the inner front right inner fender properly repaired, and the factory fuel injection re installed.

I'm not saying his price is unreasonable, but it's for sure on the very high end of the spectrum, relatively speaking.

I've told Shoe that I don't think my car is the car for you.
The CoA I don't think is the issue, but I might get one just appease the Crowd.

The reason my car is wrong for you, is I'm not sure you know exactly what you want. If you want a Street car to practice shifting a Stock Linkage, my car would be perfect, because it runs so good. Carbs vs FI? If the car flys with the Carbs & it comes with the FI for the future, that ideal IMO. As far as perfecting shifting, good luck, the Stock design will always be like Hand Mixing a Salad Bowl. So between it shifting like your race car but far below any new car and the HP being way below the 250 in the racecar, I think you be disappointed in just about any 914-4. I want somone to really desire Betsy and I think you just want a really good car for a short period of time.

Please don't think that every car above $15k is going to be Perfect. I think my car is on the High End, but not the Very High End.

Good Luck in your Search!
deputydog95
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 20 2014, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 20 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Shoe
beerchug.gif

I've told Shoe that I don't think my car is the car for you.
The CoA I don't think is the issue, but I might get one just appease the Crowd.

The reason my car is wrong for you, is I'm not sure you know exactly what you want. If you want a Street car to practice shifting a Stock Linkage, my car would be perfect, because it runs so good. Carbs vs FI? If the car flys with the Carbs & it comes with the FI for the future, that ideal IMO. As far as perfecting shifting, good luck, the Stock design will always be like Hand Mixing a Salad Bowl. So between it shifting like your race car but far below any new car and the HP being way below the 250 in the racecar, I think you be disappointed in just about any 914-4. I want somone to really desire Betsy and I think you just want a really good car for a short period of time.

Please don't think that every car above $15k is going to be Perfect. I think my car is on the High End, but not the Very High End.

Good Luck in your Search!

I'm not buying a 914-4 for performance, purely to practice shifting and have some weekend fun with the top off. I don't care if it's fast or not. It's all about building muscle memory with regards to the box and boosting my confidence.

However, I don't want a beater I'm going to have to pour money into and will be difficult to resell. I know exactly what I want. A rust free documented original 2 liter car. If it's a nice car, it will be easy to sell if I choose to. If I decide to keep it, I'd certainly prefer to have a nice one that might appreciate versus some rusty POS project car. So it only makes sense to get a good car, that's fully original.

if I'm going to spend $20k or north of that, I expect it to be fully documented and all original.

Betsy is very nice, but that inner fender gives me pause based on the pics and the carbs are a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure why you wouldn't reinstall the factory FI since you already have the parts and they do command higher prices.

One interesting thing about the 914 market is that these cars don't seem to sell, or sell quickly I should say. Even the nice ones. I've seen the same cars for sale for the past 6 months. It's been a fairly boring online search because the inventory rarely changes. Which leads me to believe that some of these owners are a little optimistic about what their cars are really worth. It would seem a lot of the sellers are folks who don't mind keeping their cars, but if it sells at an inflated price then it's a win win for them. At the end of the day, something is only worth what a customer is willing to pay.

Hit me up when it gets out of the body shop. You're in my backyard and it's certainly worth looking at.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.