Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shipping wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
is there a thread about this already?
did you ship wheels and tires or bare wheels?
where did they go?
cost?
packaging?
mepstein
6 bare wheels, 2 boxes. x country, $80 fed ex commercial acct

5 bare wheels. 3 boxes. X country, USPS, $125

Big Len
Just sold a set of mounted tires on wheels.

Get a pack of 10 14" cable ties.

Put wheels in pairs and cable tightly thru all lug holes.

Add with some cardboard on outside IF wheel offset is exeeds tire width.

Wrap tires a roll of stretch wrap and finish with some packing tape going around pairs in a spoke pattern.

Cheap and easy.
Mike Bellis
I went to U Ship and posted that I was not in a hurry.

A guy contacted me and we made a deal outside U Ship. It cost $80 to get 4 rims & tires from JRust (Corvalis, OR) to me in San Ramon , CA. I had the wheels in about a week...
campbellcj
I have shipped numerous wheels, typically by UPS Ground for $80-ish/set as the other guys said also. I either get boxes that fit individual wheels, or I've also found that the large moving boxes from Home Depot type of places will hold two wheels (over/under.) However I always reinforce single-wall boxes with additional cardboard.
Elliot Cannon
Some tire shops that also sell wheels might still have some boxes that their wheels are shipped in.
infraredcalvin
I've shipped Fuchs (no tires), 2 in a box, about $30 per box ups ground to east coast. Had cookie cutters shipped to me with tires, seller used an all thread through the lug holes to hold them face to face. Shipped ups, no issue.
jimkelly
I just shipped two aluminum 15" wheels to CA from VA, in a $1.43 18x18x16 box from uhaul, via usps, and it cost me $66.00, plus the $1.43.
76-914
Didn't someone post about shipping them Greyhound. IIRC, you have take them to the bus station.
hot_shoe914
I shipped some wheels and tires to Scotty out in Virginia. I made two bundles. Wrapped 2 wheels together really well and shipped Greyhound. This cost about $80.00 including insurance. They were 9 x 16. I have also shipped FedX ground for about the same price. FedX ground will pick them up from your house.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
bulitt
NC to ca., 5 wheels, two boxes @100 Fedex. As mentioned U-haul has a dish box. Lined it with foam insulation from H.Depot @ 8$
anderssj
A pair of 16x8 fuchs in a 18x18x18 box, reinforced with extra cardboard on the sides, styrofoam panel (or more cardboard) in between the wheels. Weighs around 37#, shipped via FEDEX-Ground.

Done this a couple of times. IIRC, about $37 from VA to FL, $57 to west coast.
jcd914
I shipped 8 Fuchs (4 lug) from Northern CA to Southern CA.
I used the 18x18x16 U-Haul boxes with 2 wheels per box.
Each box weighed in at 32 lbs and Fed Ex Ground was cheapest at $25 each.
I figure I over packed them with extra cardboard to protect the wheels but they were eventually going to Germany.

Jim
DRPHIL914
I shipped 4 empi 's with tires, 2 in each box. I got the boxes from a local tire business. Shipped UPS , went from S.C. to Arkansas, he got them in a day, cost was close to $100, but that was tires and rims, which were a lot heaview than my 914/6 14" fuchs that Lukem shipped down from NY.

Ive had best results with FedEx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.