Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's happening again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver Surfer
So, I have a potential lead on a complete "field find" 1962 356B that's been parked for the last 19 years in a north east state.

I know. It's insane, and I'm not really a 356 guy. So why am I still thinking about it? Anyone ever taken this leap before? I'm not new to the game. I see the huge amounts of $$$ ($$$$) and work there (provided that it still has some structural integrity underneath), but I also see a really cool story to tell. What do the experts think?

Click to view attachment
halmil
If it is not a convertible, it is not worth the cost to restore
bandjoey
Buy it and flip it
mepstein
biggrin.gif
Larmo63
I found a "garage find" '63 S that I fixed up really nice and sold for a lot more money. If it isn't trash underneath, do it.
SirAndy
Buy it. Then buy a cheap Boxster. Then put the 356 shell on the Boxster frame.
w00t.gif
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 11 2014, 04:11 PM) *

I found a "garage find" '63 S that I fixed up really nice and sold for a lot more money. If it isn't trash underneath, do it.

I was thinking something along these lines, although as I get further into ownership I have a tougher time letting cars go.
Mike Bellis
If it is complete and cheap... Buy it already. Go outlaw style and you will save on resto costs.
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 11 2014, 04:12 PM) *

Buy it. Then buy a cheap Boxster. Then put the 356 shell on the Boxster frame.
w00t.gif

This is the best response I've gotten yet to this potential opportunity/nightmare. Way to think outside of the box Andy!
raw1298
That should buff right out! biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(halmil @ Jul 11 2014, 03:03 PM) *

If it is not a convertible, it is not worth the cost to restore

and a 914 is ? poke.gif rolleyes.gif
scotty b
get some pics of the underside, wheel wells, battery box and rear seats. those are the MAIN spots. If you want the car it is worth restoring. If you want to FLIP the car, there are few worth messing with unless it is complete (which it appears to be ) and you can get it sub 10K. The replacement metal is no more expensive than a 914, but you have to remember they have on average 20 years longer exposure. Other parts get pricey. Plan on 10k+ for the engine rebuild if it is in decent shape
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2014, 05:30 PM) *

get some pics of the underside, wheel wells, battery box and rear seats. those are the MAIN spots. If you want the car it is worth restoring. If you want to FLIP the car, there are few worth messing with unless it is complete (which it appears to be ) and you can get it sub 10K. The replacement metal is no more expensive than a 914, but you have to remember they have on average 20 years longer exposure. Other parts get pricey. Plan on 10k+ for the engine rebuild if it is in decent shape

Thanks Scotty. That confirms the direction my thoughts were taking me. I think I could get it for sub 10k and it is complete. Here's the picture that screams "run away" to me the longer I look at it. Check out that door alignment and the rust hole in the wheel well. Seems like 356s and 914s seem to share a common trait of breaking in half when things get terminal in that area:

Click to view attachment
zambezi
Buy it and flip it as is. That car is very straight and honest as far as 356's go. It would be an easy sell at 12 -16K if cleaned up a little and staged properly (not in a field with flat tires). Maybe even invest in a COA if it seams like it may be numbers matching. That would add a couple grand right there. It is the T6 body style which is more desireable than the T5 B models. I have done 5 356's so far and none were much better than this. I have never lost money on them either. Of course I know what to do and not to do on these, which is where you can quickly get upside down.
Jim
wndsnd
Weird place for an antenna.......

They are pricey to restore even without the rust repair.

John
r_towle
Buy it.
It can be restored if you have the cash, and you will spend about 30k to do it right, and could sell it for mid 60 and up...very tied to the stock market...

Some of the nicer SC cars are over 100k now...easily.

If you buy it right, you could flip it for 10k more and walk away smiling.

If you do decide to flip it, please let me know first, I suspect we can work a deal out quickly and it would not be my first, so shipping etc will be simple.

Rich
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 11 2014, 08:11 PM) *

Buy it.
It can be restored if you have the cash, and you will spend about 30k to do it right, and could sell it for mid 60 and up...very tied to the stock market...

Some of the nicer SC cars are over 100k now...easily.

If you buy it right, you could flip it for 10k more and walk away smiling.

If you do decide to flip it, please let me know first, I suspect we can work a deal out quickly and it would not be my first, so shipping etc will be simple.

Rich

I'm seriously considering it now. I'll be back east next month sometime and plan on bringing cash and a trailer along with me when I go to check it out. Really concerned about the underneath as my contact didn't take the best pictures of the important stuff. In the meantime I'll learn everything I can about the model/year. You guys are a great resource! I'll keep your offer in mind Rich if I think I'm getting in over my head!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.