Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why doesn't my horn work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
first time I drove my car I bumped the horn while turning and it sounded out like a horn should now I got no horn?
meantime I have been playing with the all the dash controls - lights fogs blower etc -well when I got in the other day I noticed the lighter was pushed in and hadn't popped back out & I remembered pushing it in to see if it worked but then I must have found some other shiny thing to distract me and forgot about it.
so is the lighter and the horn on the same fuse? if so could I have blown that fuse by leaving the lighter in? or any other suggestions?
thanks
cjl

oh, also the temp gauge in the center console is no workee I'm searching old threads now for answers these and other questions but any help or direction is appreciated
bandjoey
Grounds on this car causes many problems. Brown wire. Probably 20-25 on the car. Get a $10 HF dremmel tool and sand and clean the grounds. Made my horn work and cured other electrical problems.

Where in Texas?
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif show us your car and good luck.
Mike Bellis
Most likely corrosion somewhere; Horn button, Relay, etc.

Can you hear the relay click under the dash? Yes= bench test horn and check relay. No= check steering wheel or relay.
Mike Bellis
Stupid double post...
TheCabinetmaker
First check your fuses. Box is under the dash above your left knee. Visually check the fuses and roll them in their sockets. The get corroded. There is a very good chance the lighter is shorted. I replace the entire lighter assy with a modern one. Modern gadgets don't fit in the old lighter socket.
Tom
You probably have no fresh air blower also. Relay J13 ( fresh air blower ) on the fuse panel. This is the power relay for the wipers, horn, and cig lighter. You can slightly "spread" the prongs on the relay to ensure a better electrical contact. You can test this by reaching underneath the dash and wiggling each relay while the blower is on to see if moving it around effects the operation. OR, push on the horn with the key to on and move the relay around. If the horn blows, you have a bad contact with the relay contacts on the relay you were moving.
Tom
theleschyouknow
thanks to all for your direction so far am hoping to get some good time to fiddle this weekend will check grounds relays and fuses

bandjoey- I'm just down the road in west FW. I'm always up for a beverage love to get together anytime we can make it work

here's a couple o' pics I think they're even right side up

I thought it would arrive Sunday so when the doorbell rang Saturday afternoon this was a pleasant surprise

Click to view attachment

just try & wipe the grin off of my face

Click to view attachment

bought it off this board from Willum in Thousand Oaks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.