Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cylinder#1 &#2 suddenly missing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gcotton92203
Have a 73 2.0 which I've had timing issues with. Drove the car yesterday and it ran fine but I believe the timing was advanced a bit too much so I decided to adjust it today. I pulled the air cleaner out of the way in case I needed to get to the throttle. Restarted the car and now I've lost cylinders 1 & 2 . Obviously compression is still there and I tested the ignition and still have spark so it would have to be a fuel related issue. I've gotten the cylinders back at times but don't know how and when it runs on all fours I get a definite miss under acceleration load. Any suggestions?
914itis
if it is DJet, It may be your trigger points. Easy to test
brant
QUOTE(914itis @ Jul 11 2014, 09:12 PM) *

if it is DJet, It may be your trigger points. Easy to test

I agree.
trigger points fire in pairs
could be one side of the trigger points not working
most likely the wire that plugs into the bottom of the distributor
idle the car and wiggle the wire connector to see if it comes and goes

that wire group often fails... a connector repair or wire crack is likely the cause
Gcotton92203
I considered the trigger points and tested as best I could but my ohm meter is digital. However don't the trigger points trigger opposing cylinders? 1 & 3, 2 & 4? I'm having problems on 1 & 2. I can pull wires on 1 & 2 and no difference. Pull either 3 or 4 plug wires and the engine dies. By the way where can I get new trigger contacts? Searches don't seem to bring up suppliers. Didn't find any on Pelican.
Java2570
Since you pulled your air cleaner, check the wiring harness grounds that connect on top of the engine. They are sort of tucked out of the way under the air cleaner when it's on.....I believe there are 3 of them and perhaps they came loose.
Dave_Darling
Trigger points control pairs diagonally across the engine.

I think I remember that grounds are on side or the other. So double-check those grounds!

--DD
rmital
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 12 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Trigger points control pairs diagonally across the engine.

I think I remember that grounds are on side or the other. So double-check those grounds!

--DD

agree.gif yep
Gcotton92203
Bingo! Got it. Ground wire with a solderless connector was disconnected at the rear of the engine. Thanks to all for the great advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.