Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Valve lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barefoot
Just pulled apart my 1976 GC 2.0L and found that the 4 lifters on the Right side have 2 cross holes while those on the left have just 1. Curious why configured like this ???
Also they seemed very heavy at 96 grams for the 2 hole and a staggering 136 gms for the 1 holers. The little cross hole is only about 2mm, so the missing hole cannot account for the difference. Both seem VERY heavy for the intended purpose. Does anyone make lighter solids for these engines ? Why can't i source 4 more 2 holers for the left side ?
Just looked at a couple from my GA 2.0L and found 2 holers at 96 gms on both sides. What's up ??
BTW, the GC case has no removable pressure relief cap on the case side like the GA case, it just has a pressed in plug. Is this key to the 1 vs 2 hole lifters ???

I couldn't see any signs that they are 2 piece, so presume they are all solids, how to tell the difference ??

Curious George here new to these engines and want to understand everything I can.
Mike Bellis
Performance will be better with solid.

Less valve adjusting with hydraulic.

Porsche T4's have solid. VW Bus T4's had hydraulic.

The choice is yours.
Mark Henry
Someone did a mix-n-match.

Hydraulic would have shorter steel pushrods, also put them on the bench and push down on the center, if it moves it's hydraulic.
BTW some of the newer solids are 2 piece with a clip inside.

The GC case shouldn't have a pressed in plug at the lifter relief, it should have never been machined.
Personally I'd just replace the cam and a matching set of lifters.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 12 2014, 03:38 PM) *

Performance will be better with solid.

Less valve adjusting with hydraulic.

Porsche T4's have solid. VW Bus T4's had hydraulic.

The choice is yours.

Only later bus ('78 and up IIRC) had hydraulic.
larryM
hydraulic is nice - like late vw buses used

but you MUST use a different cam

and then your D-jet will not work very well

so unless you have carbs - go solid & eom cam or use a weber 73 cam for better mid-range
72hardtop
Hydros promote neglect...nothing more. I and many others such as Jake Raby, Len Hoffman, Lloyd Mosher, Adrian (Headflow Masters) do NOT recommend their use in a heavy bus application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.