Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with fuel pump wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Troubleshooting fuel pump. PO moved fuel pump up front on a 74 2.0L.

At the pump I see the brown ground and a red wire (+) that is hooked to a black wire (not a yellow/black wire).

The PO wired the pump to some power up front, but where can I find that? Where would the ground from the pump and power come into the chassis/cabin?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jul 12 2014, 04:25 PM) *

At the pump I see the brown ground and a red wire (+) that is hooked to a black wire (not a yellow/black wire).

The PO wired the pump to some power up front, but where can I find that? Where would the ground from the pump and power come into the chassis/cabin?

All you can do is follow the wire that the DAPO used. But I would guess it probably goes inside the car to the fuse box.

Make sure to find the fuel pump wire in the engine compartment and run it up front to the pump. It will work correctly if you do that.

boxsterfan
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 12 2014, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jul 12 2014, 04:25 PM) *

All you can do is follow the wire that the DAPO used. But I would guess it probably goes inside the car to the fuse box.

Make sure to find the fuel pump wire in the engine compartment and run it up front to the pump. It will work correctly if you do that.

Well, I replaced the relay board, cleaned up all the connections on the fuse block at the driver's knee with some light sandpaper, and cleaned the ground connection to the chassis by the fuse box. I checked voltage at the fuel pump and was getting 11.88v. Before, I had been getting only ~10.5v so maybe my problem will go away. I also stuck a small ice pick like device into the connectors at the fuel pump and "tweeked" them a bit so that they slid on tigher to the male connectors on the pump.

Unfortunately, I have 12 gallons of gas in the tank right now. I'm going to get that re-wired to run off the power from the back but I'm going to tackle that when I can drain the tank easier (like when I am near empty). Hopefully, she'll run until I can get her emptied out.
boxsterfan
By the way, I am trying to find the Airtex E8445 2-port fuel pump to replace my stock 3-port pump, but it doesn't seem available any more.

Is that the best replacement out there?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jul 12 2014, 08:41 PM) *

By the way, I am trying to find the Airtex E8445 2-port fuel pump to replace my stock 3-port pump, but it doesn't seem available any more.

Is that the best replacement out there?

Airtex E8445 at Autozone

At Advance Auto Parts

At Oreilly Auto Parts

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.