Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tell me about...using your teener long distance.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BritCarJim
as my handle suggests, i came from the britcar world and wandered into teener-land. my daily driver is a '72 MGB GT and while i enjoy driving her anywhere, she has the factory-option overdrive, and cruises happily at 75 on the interstate, i would think that the teener--15 years newer technology, fuel injection, dealer a/c, true 5 speed--would be a better long-distance-cruiser. i've had my teener a couple years but haven't gotten 'round to fixing her up. i'm planning to start this winter. so, tell me how good my teener will be at long distances and care-free interstate travel....
Hank914
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Jul 12 2014, 08:32 PM) *

as my handle suggests, i came from the britcar world and wandered into teener-land. my daily driver is a '72 MGB GT and while i enjoy driving her anywhere, she has the factory-option overdrive, and cruises happily at 75 on the interstate, i would think that the teener--15 years newer technology, fuel injection, dealer a/c, true 5 speed--would be a better long-distance-cruiser. i've had my teener a couple years but haven't gotten 'round to fixing her up. i'm planning to start this winter. so, tell me how good my teener will be at long distances and care-free interstate travel....

My 1st car was a 1969 TR6.... and not reliable for me, at least back in the late 70's. No overdrive on that one. Don't remember the mpg.

My '72 1.7 is quite the econobox. I'm on Interstate 5 every other weekend from the Bay Area halfway into Oregon. 550 miles nonstop at between 65-80mph and I'm getting 28-30mpg. I think my gearing shows 5th gear at 3000rpm around 70-72mph. I think I'm 90-95 or better before I hit 4000rpm. I have dual carbs not stock FI. Seems very carefree interstate driver for me, except one time it would not restart on a hot day (hence the engine doesn't stop at gas stations, prolly should fix that someday). Worst thing about the 914 is no AC and stock vinyl seats. My butt is sore after 8-9 hours regardless of leather Volvo or old Porsche seats. The 914 gives me the most "smiles per miles" of any car I've had. I hope to drive 35-40k/year for the next two years, if my rebuilt 1.7 will keep on keepin on.
messix
I have a '75 1.8/1911 and stock FI, it's loves to run at 70-80 and have done 150-300 mile runs easily .
JawjaPorsche
I have a stock 73 1.7. I have driven it cross country three times. Only problem was one vapor lock in Arizona.
hot_shoe914
I drove my '73 2.0L over 1300 miles non stop and a lot of that through the dessert. I had no problems at all. I covered about 3000 miles that trip and also made a 2000 mile round trip with no issues. Dual carbs and 26 to 28 mpg cruising mostly around 80 mph.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
orthobiz
I drove my 74 1.8 back to Michigan last September. Bought it in California, flew out to get it. I carry a pretty complete tool bag with wrenches and screwdrivers and sockets. That topic has been covered before; my mix includes a 27mm socket for the steering wheel, a protective socket with breaker bar for the lug nuts. I have a lightweight 944 scissor jack for tire changes. Also clutch cable and accelerator cable, even if you do not know how to change it, carry them anyway. My computer has the Porsche manual on it. A little tire pump and an extra ignition switch. Safety reflective triangle. Fuses. AAA.

Make sure you know how to tilt the seat so you can change up positions while driving (don't laugh. some members have asked what that little black knob is for). Maybe a pillow for the passenger.

Also posted my trip here on 914world. Wound up staying with Eric Shea on the way back and had offers from others here as well. You are connected! And stop by Cadillac, MI if you get a chance!!

Oh, and it will help to know how waterproof your car is before you go. And if your windshield washer works.

Paul
ipadstott
I have done more than 3 trips that were 600 miles plus, never had any problems eexcept once I had a sticky caliper and pulled into a garage in a small town where the mechanic was a " Bug" guy and fixed me up in 20 minutes. Now my engine was a basically untouched 40 year old at the time, it is now getting seen to by Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing, and I feel confident I could take it across Canada with no problems or worries. My buddies with British sports cars don't feel they can do that.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
TheCabinetmaker
I really do drive my car everyday. Did a 300 mile trip yesterday. My longest trip was 4500 miles from Tulsa to San Diego and points in between and back to Tulsa. It's very reliable. That said, I am a top notch mechanic and know damn near every part on my car.
76-914
No Porsche is "Happy" below 80mph. evilgrin.gif
JStroud
Last year I put a rebuilt 2056 in my car with the stock FI, drove from California to Vegas, then Albuquerque, then to Atlanta Tx, back to Albuquerque, then to Durango Co for RRC, to Salt Lake City and then back to California. Twelve days on the road, 4600 miles....car ran great, other than a vapor lock issue on 100+ days. Not sure about gas mileage, didn't bother to check. Was a very fun trip, will do it again as soon as my car is ready again.
Hank914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 13 2014, 05:36 AM) *

I carry a pretty complete tool bag with wrenches and screwdrivers and sockets. That topic has been covered before; ...

Paul

Do you have a link to the previous topic coverage?

I searched the classic posts and the FAQ, which had a small paragraph only. Your paragraph above was a better summary. smilie_pokal.gif

I searched for tool bag and long distance and got 27 pages of good stuff articles but after the first couple of pages I got distracted and forgot what I was searching for. Maybe I'll look up how best to refine my search better, but I can't loose even if I don't find exactly what I'm searching for, I'm bound to find more info on what ii wasn't looking for but needed to know anyway. driving.gif piratenanner.gif

Hank914
cpavlenko
Got a 71 1.7 stock, , and I go from Chino valley, AZ. to Ocotillo Wells (660 mile round trip) twice a year. Also once a year I drive to Mom and Dads place, Buena Park, Calif. I usually get 30-32 mpg. And surprisingly, no problems. Real comfortable to drive and have fun in mountain areas, knock on wood. I also do daily driving on the 914. driving.gif
damesandhotrods
I had a ’73 B-GT as daily driver for 5 years, and when it was hit I was getting ready for my 4th trip from San Francisco to Seattle. The only problem I ever had on a road trip was getting a tank full of bad gas just south of Redding.

As a touring car I would probably give the nod to the MG over the Porsche. The MG is more comfortable to spend long periods of time in. And you don’t have an air cooled engine right behind your head. The 914 has a second trunk, but it does get warm, and if are planning on removing the top during the trip you’ll have to pack it accordingly. It also helps to have a clear view of the speedometer when you’re driving a strange looking car with out of state plates.

In the 914’s favor are gas mileage, a larger fuel tank, and the 5th gear. VW designed the engine to push a loaded Westy down the freeway, so the lighter more aerodynamic 914 is easy. The cockpit is roomier, and much brighter. The car doesn’t become stuffy like the MG, and you won’t have all of that heat from the engine and transmission coming up through the floor and transmission tunnel. The 914 is lighter than the B-GT, so it feels quicker through the gears.

And both cars are a drag when you’ve got somebody behind you following too close with their high beams on…
cpavlenko
yep, driving a 914 at night is a bitch, being u sit so low to the ground, other cars lights blind u.
RenoRoger
[quote name='Hank914' date='Jul 12 2014, 11:57 PM. Worst thing about the 914 is no AC and stock vinyl seats. My butt is sore after 8 or 9 hrs.
[/quote]

Spoke to a guy who drives his cross country. He said sheepskin seat covers improve comfort tremendously.
zambezi
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jul 13 2014, 11:20 AM) *

In the 914’s favor are gas mileage, a larger fuel tank, and the 5th gear. VW designed the engine to push a loaded Westy down the freeway, so the lighter more aerodynamic 914 is easy. The cockpit is roomier, and much brighter. The car doesn’t become stuffy like the MG, and you won’t have all of that heat from the engine and transmission coming up through the floor and transmission tunnel. The 914 is lighter than the B-GT, so it feels quicker through the gears.

And both cars are a drag when you’ve got somebody behind you following too close with their high beams on…

I disagree about the engine. VW did not design the engine for the bus. The 914 came before the bus started using the engine. In 1969 and 1970 the VW bus was still using the type 1 engine
72hardtop
I just returned from a trip in my 72 Westy hardtop with 2056cc T-4. I was only 75 miles short of 3000 miles for the entire trip. The bus only consumed ~ 1/2qt of oil and averaged between 17.3X - 24.5X mpg (depending on winds/road conditions). Average mpg's were 20 - 21. dialed the jetting in prior to trip using LM-2 shot for low 13's out on the highway or under WOT/high load.
swooshdave
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jul 13 2014, 09:20 AM) *
The 914 has a second trunk, but it does get warm, and if are planning on removing the top during the trip you’ll have to pack it accordingly.

We did our honeymoon in the Corvette, no trunk and when the top was down even less room. Very proud of the wife on her packing. She has gotten a lot worse since then. blink.gif
ClayPerrine
All of our trips start in the DFW area....

We have been to ABQ (I can't spell it still) in my six.

Salt Lake City in Betty's car. (1.5 times... long story).

Both cars to Huntsville Alabama.

Betty's to Tennessee/North Carolina (mine went on a trailer for that one).

Lots to trips to Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Austin numerous times.

And we are going on the trip to Octeenerfest with both cars. (900+ miles one way).

Having two 914s and both of us loving to drive them means that long trips are done with radios and a lot of time alone in the car. But it does have an upside. If one breaks, the other one can be used to get help (U-Haul trailer rentals...)

Packing is a breeze provided you remember three key words "Soft sided luggage".

Oh ........ the absolute longest trip I ever took in a 914 was going to and coming home from our wedding (Betty's joke).

mgp4591
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 13 2014, 06:27 AM) *

I drove my '73 2.0L over 1300 miles non stop and a lot of that through the dessert. I had no problems at all. I covered about 30000 miles that trip and also made a 2000 mile round trip with no issues. Dual carbs and 26 to 28 mpg cruising mostly around 80 mph.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

30k on one trip?! Man, that's a LONG one!! shades.gif
shoguneagle
Great Question! Great response info! I am in the process of downgrading the number of cars I have and will be replacing a 2004 Vette with the 914-6er and a 1986 Alfa (already owned). I am looking forward to intermediate to long range trips in both of these cars.

In my retirement, I seem to want to finish the repairs/rebuilding of these two cars and want to drive them. The Vette is nice car with great performance and gas mileage, but I am looking forward to the 914 and the Alfa since we are really not wanting to get from place to place very quickly while we travel.

rick 918-S
All trips From MN. So Cal 3 times, Nor Cal twice, Hershey, Michigan, Columbus IN,RRC many time screwy.gif biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 14 2014, 01:14 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 13 2014, 06:27 AM) *

I drove my '73 2.0L over 1300 miles non stop and a lot of that through the dessert. I had no problems at all. I covered about 30000 miles that trip and also made a 2000 mile round trip with no issues. Dual carbs and 26 to 28 mpg cruising mostly around 80 mph.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

30k on one trip?! Man, that's a LONG one!! shades.gif

Oops, sorry about that. Very tired these days and guess I forgot to proof read that one.
saigon71
A month after finishing a four year restoration, I embarked on a 1380 mile road trip in my 74 2.0 D-jet. Had some starter issues and sprung an oil leak, but the car got me there & back.

Armed with a new hi-torque starter, I would feel comfortable driving it about anywhere. It will get 27+ MPG at cruising speed.

I've been working on my road kit - spares of all FI components.

As far as comfort - no problem for me on a long trip.

effutuo101
San Jose to San Diego, San Diego to Denver, Denver to Seattle. I think i broke a speedo cable on one trip. Other than that all of my 2.0 4cyl experience is fantastic!
Sea Dragon 914
There are some impressive trips here. I did a trip with my wife and parents about 20 years ago. We took my bumblebee and my orange cars from Vallejo, CA to Crater Lake, OR. It was in the summer during a heat wave and camped along the way (both trunks in both cars were packed). On the way through the central valley near the Oregon border (I think it was the the Klamath Basin area), we saw a dark cloud ahead of us. Not sure what kind bugs they were but it sounded like hard rain and there was a LOT of bug juice for the wipers to move around (didn't have the washer bottles hooked up). Pretty gross.

It was too hot so we cut across Oregon to the coast to cool off. We then drove the coast back to SF and back to Vallejo. Both cars ran great and the only problem we had was the gas station attendants trying to figure out where the gas tanks were(wife and mom weren't too happy about the bugs and heat so that was the end of road trips with the wife in the 914).
Eric_Shea
Just did Salt Lake to Monterey via Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. Did 2 dry runs for tours, 5 tours and drove her back home. Roughly 2,800 miles. 21mpg cruising at (mostly) highway speeds).
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 14 2014, 04:45 PM) *

Just did Salt Lake to Monterey via Lake Tahoe and Yosemite. Did 2 dry runs for tours, 5 tours and drove her back home. Roughly 2,800 miles. 21mpg cruising at (mostly) highway speeds).

Your truck gets 21mpg towing the 914? I'm sorry but... bs.gif av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 14 2014, 07:45 PM) *

What about the miles out of the trailer?
JRust
My trip to Route 66 in Albuquerque in March. Started at my home in Corvallis Oregon. Drove to Burley Idaho bought a truck. Flat towed my 914 to Salt Lake City where I picked up my daughter & left my 914. Drove from SLC to Moab & stayed the night. Drove down to Albuquerque from Moab. At Route 66 did the drive with everyone. From there went to The Grand Canyon. After the Grand Canyon we drove to Las Vegas. I had to work there for a few days. Then drive back to SLC. Then from SLC back home. Total on the trip I logged about 3500 miles. About 800 of those in the truck I bought & flat towed the 914. Only issue we had was a dead animal in the 914 longitude that I couldn't find icon8.gif
My next drive will be much nice as I am having A/C installed. Hoping Mark can get it finished in the next day or so.
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 14 2014, 07:44 PM) *

My trip to Route 66 in Albuquerque in March. Started at my home in Corvallis Oregon. Drove to Burley Idaho bought a truck. Flat towed my 914 to Salt Lake City where I picked up my daughter & left my 914. Drove from SLC to Moab & stayed the night. Drove down to Albuquerque from Moab. At Route 66 did the drive with everyone. From there went to The Grand Canyon. After the Grand Canyon we drove to Las Vegas. I had to work there for a few days. Then drive back to SLC. Then from SLC back home. Total on the trip I logged about 3500 miles. About 800 of those in the truck I bought & flat towed the 914. Only issue we had was a dead animal in the 914 longitude that I couldn't find icon8.gif
My next drive will be much nice as I am having A/C installed. Hoping Mark can get it finished in the next day or so.

Driving down to SLC in Sept. shouldn't be too warm, but really looking forward to seeing the A/C install. From here to GJ then to Moab may be a little warm but you never really know around here... idea.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 13 2014, 05:28 AM) *

Basically, when I bought my 2.0 with a cam and carbs it wasn't happy below 75 in 5th gear (right between the idle and main circuit at 60-70). Made for a quicker trip home. I'm guessing with a stock FI car it'd be very nice.
Eric_Shea
No trailer homies! mad.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 13 2014, 11:11 AM) *

Do you have a link to the previous topic coverage?

Hank914

Tools...
Spares...

Also, bookmark and use this:

Custom Google

I've used it so many times and forget who created it. It's great!

Paul
Drums66
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 13 2014, 06:28 AM) *

,,,,We're in total agreement...They (Porsche)love it! shades.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.