Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smokey why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AfricanHijinx
Finally got to drive my car again after replacing a couple parts like fuel pump and fuel lines. but when I got home I noticed some smoke coming from the engine bay, looked in to find this
Click to view attachment

why would smoke be coming from this vertical heat exchanger tube?
SLITS
Oil is leaking into the heater can and burning off. That pipe is for the heater blower to supply air into the heat exchanger at idle / lo engine speed.
76-914
and maybe a couple of old mice nests a burning, also.
AfricanHijinx
well now the thing wont start. I was driving it down my dirt driveway and it just died. walked back home grabbed the truck and brought it back home, I thought it might be out of gas which was were I was going. Turns out I don't have any spark. I had a spare coil and tried it to no avail. Distributor? I just replaced the condenser and points. why does my car play these games with me? I just want to drive it while its nice and hot here in the PNW
Dave_Darling
If you just replaced the points and condensor, look at the points. You may not have tightened the screw, or something may have gotten pinched, or you may have routed the points wire where something could snag it, or ....

--DD
AfricanHijinx
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 14 2014, 06:01 PM) *

If you just replaced the points and condensor, look at the points. You may not have tightened the screw, or something may have gotten pinched, or you may have routed the points wire where something could snag it, or ....

--DD

that was the first thing I checked, it was running great then bleh. I got about 20 miles out of it before it just gave up the goat. I will take it all apart again and double check.
rjames
Find out why you have oil leaking in to the heater tubes, too. You don't want to be breathing that stuff in. A valve cover not fully seated tight is one possible cause- ask me how I know.
After you find the source, clean them out and then cap the tubes in the engine bay if you don't have them hooked up to the engine bay fan.
AfricanHijinx
found out that there was a wire knick on the coil power wire took me awhile to find it. As for the smoke it must be from an old leak, motor doesn't leak but the heat exchangers are from a different motor.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will get off my wine box now and go for a drive its been 6 months over due
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.