Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: some people just don't get it.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TheCabinetmaker
Was filling my gas tank yesterday when I heard a commotion and a couple guys yelling behind me. When I turned around I found they were yelling at me. I looked under my car to check for gas pouring out, but it was dry. They were yelling about me putting gas in my engine. One of them said the gas goes in the back. I told them to relax, I was putting it in the tank. Then they started arguing with me.when I showed them the tank and the engine they were amazed at my skills for moving the engine to the middle. They just refused to believe it came that way. Less than a mile away, I made another stop and someone in the parking lot asked if that top came off. I simply said yes. as he was walking around the car he said "that's a karman ghia right"? I was gonna just say yes but he saw the hood badge and said "oh, it's a Porsche, no it's not! You just stuck the emblem on there". I just walked off. I've been dealing with this crap for 40 years. Why can't people just mind their own business? If every guy who's told me his best friend had one in college really had one there would have been two million made. Now I'm not adverse to talking about my car, but at least ask a real question and stop lying. Had one guy tell me he used to do frame off restorations to them in the 70's. Huh? Go away dude.
Porschef
Yeah, I like showing the engine to interested folks who have no idea about this car. Pop the hood, oops, no engine here huh.gif Wait, that's right, it is a Porsche, so the engines in the back. Pop the trunk, happy11.gif hey! Where is it? lol-2.gif

Gets em' every time...
Spoke
you're talking about your Fiat, right?
KELTY360
A week ago I was filling up and an attractive young lady in an SUV at the pump next to me asked,

"is that a trunk?"

I said yes and pointed to the rear lid and said "this is also a trunk."

She got this puzzled look on her face and said, "where's the engine?"

I told her, "it's a pedal car."

Now she's really puzzled screwy.gif and says, "huh?"

Showed her where the engine was and she grinned and thanked me for the tour.

KELTY360
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 13 2014, 05:29 AM) *

Was filling my gas tank yesterday when I heard a commotion and a couple guys yelling behind me. When I turned around I found they were yelling at me. I looked under my car to check for gas pouring out, but it was dry. They were yelling about me putting gas in my engine. One of them said the gas goes in the back. I told them to relax, I was putting it in the tank. Then they started arguing with me.when I showed them the tank and the engine they were amazed at my skills for moving the engine to the middle. They just refused to believe it came that way.

These guys are drowning in the shallow end of the gene pool. chair.gif
bandjoey
I always go for Fiat electric.

Most people say "I used to have one when..." But for the few it's a Fiat.
tscrihfield
How I read your post...

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 13 2014, 10:18 AM) *

A week ago I was filling up an attractive young lady in an SUV

....and she grinned and thanked me for the tour.

That is a way more fun story! lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
Well, you do live in Oklahoma... tooth.gif teef.gif tooth.gif
'73-914kid
Your location says it all.. the only questions I get at gas stations are in regards to whether its a 4 or a 6..

Apperantly Californians are "slightly" more educated. Not by much though.
craig downs
Funny storys and it sounds like some of the ones I get especially the ones "I use to have one of those." When I was restoring mine a few years ago there was a guy who was looking at the house next door because it was for sale. He came over and was watching me for a minute and asked "hey is that a 1914." I just looked at him and said yeeaahhh.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 13 2014, 09:57 AM) *

Did you really just say that? We have schools and colleges here too ya know. Sounds like you are the uneducated one. I'm the first one to laugh at an okie joke, but that was just offensive. Not funny at all.
'73-914kid
That by no means was meant to be offensive. Hence the "not by much" statement.
timothy_nd28
Everyone knows that people from Indiana are the smartest hide.gif
DblDog
A beautiful day, crusin' with the top off...stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross at an intersection. He gave a nod my way...then...'Is that a fourteen or a sixteen?'... blink.gif ...hadn't heard it put that way before. I smiled...

Misinformation about a car that is misunderstood. It goes with ownership...enjoy!
Cuda911
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 13 2014, 06:48 AM) *

Yeah, I like showing the engine to interested folks who have no idea about this car. Pop the hood, oops, no engine here huh.gif Wait, that's right, it is a Porsche, so the engines in the back. Pop the trunk, happy11.gif hey! Where is it? lol-2.gif

Gets em' every time...

Ha! I've done that trick too. Told one guy it's a a new kind of car that doesn't use an engine. Just a a battery. He believed it!

And, I agree about the numbers issue and have made that same comment too: since less than 120,000 total were made, and every other person I meet says they used to own one.... clearly Porsche was lying about the production numbers. By my calculations, Porsche made roughly 137 million of them.
bembry
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 13 2014, 08:17 AM) *

Did you really just say that? We have schools and colleges here too ya know. Sounds like you are the uneducated one. I'm the first one to laugh at an okie joke, but that was just offensive. Not funny at all.

banjo schools don't count. piratenanner.gif

I kid--my whole family are Okies.
KELTY360
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 13 2014, 07:17 AM) *

Lighten up. Obviously the spelling of apperantly should have tipped you off to the spoof.

lol-2.gif
poorsche914
I was at a gas station filling up not long ago when a beat up truck pulls in next to me and the guys yells out the window, "Ya need help? I'm a mechanic." blink.gif rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif

driving.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 13 2014, 06:51 AM) *

How I read your post...

A week ago I was filling up an attractive young lady in an SUV

....and she grinned and thanked me for the tour.

That is a way more fun story! lol-2.gif

av-943.gif

Remember when they used to be called 'service stations'? happy11.gif
Java2570
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 13 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Everyone knows that people from Indiana are the smartest hide.gif

lol-2.gif now THAT is funny!!
Elliot Cannon
When someone asks a stupid question, or makes a dumbass remark about the car I ALWAYS politely educate them about the 914. If a dumbass remark is answered with a smartass answer, that makes two dumbasses.
ben*james
In OK they don't believe you, in CA they are suspicious and in OR they flat out ignore you. But, we also have gas attendants that pumped our gas unlike the rest of you uneducated primates lol-2.gif
swooshdave
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 13 2014, 11:13 AM) *

When someone asks a stupid question, or makes a dumbass remark about the car I ALWAYS politely educate them about the 914. If a dumbass remark is answered with a smartass answer, that makes two dumbasses.

I always though that dumbass + smartass = zero. They cancel each other out. biggrin.gif
Drums66
...What do you expect,from "humanoids?"
very_first_smiley[1].gif bye1.gif
dudzy's914
It's awkward when people ask if it a convertible,

"kind of, its a targa"
"so the whole the whole roof comes off?"
"...ya..."
GaroldShaffer
10yrs go when I bought my current 914 I had small water leak by the lower windshield frame area when it would rain / wash the 914. An older guy in the neighbor hood stopped by while out for his walk and said he had on of those back in the day. Asked what I was doing and I told him I had a water leak when it rains and just trying to see if I could trace where it was coming in at.

He told me to check my heater core confused24.gif
914itis
av-943.gif
Bartlett 914
My wife an I once purchased 2 bags of peat moss. One up front one in the rear. We stopped at the store for beer on the way back. I will never forget the look a woman gave me. She did a classic double take. Where is the motor? Fun stuff. I really don't remember hearing many stupid comments. mostly curious and approving stuff
Jackgerard
Took mine out today and much to my surprise I got a lot of love from 911 owners. Even when my car died on the side of the rode I had some 911 guys stop and ask if they could help. People are really starting to appreciate the 914. Also a lady walked around my car for about twenty minutes. Had to get it home on a flat bed though. sad.gif
tomeric914
Last car show I went to I opened only the engine lid to eliminate the hassle of explaining. Next one I'm only opening the front and rear trunks. stirthepot.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 13 2014, 06:48 AM) *

Gets em' every time...

CA DMV workers had me pop the front trunk for vehicle transfer registration...I had a silent chuckle when I realized they wanted to see the engine.
ClayPerrine
This is nothing new. It has been happening for years. There is even an episode of the original Hawaii 50 where a woman is driving a 914 and it breaks down. The next scene shows the mechanic in the front trunk telling her that the carburetor is bad. WTF.gif

Years ago, a whole group of 914s got together to go to Austin from DFW for a tour down there. We had stopped for gas, and this woman in a pickup looked at the car and said "I got one of those in the shed behind the house. It's just down the road." Everyone started thinking "Original six" or "916" so we all had to follow her to her place.

This is what we found:

Click to view attachment

At one time Betty and I kept a running total of the number of incorrect guesses at the type of car we were driving. We stopped when we reached 100 wrong guesses.

I still laugh when Betty tells about the kid who walked around her car at an AX. First he looked in the front, and didn't see the motor. Then he looked in the back and didn't see the motor. So he asked her where the motor was...

Her response: "I knew I forgot something this morning."

mgp4591
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jul 13 2014, 09:19 AM) *

That by no means was meant to be offensive. Hence the "not by much" statement.

I thought because we've got teeners it meant we could take a joke... shades.gif
JRust
I thought about making a big fake hamster wheel. Sticking a young kid in there as I drove around town with them jogging in the wheel evilgrin.gif . Yell at them to go faster when people were close happy11.gif
Betty
I would KILL for a hamster wheel on my car for Halloween!!! happy11.gif

I used to have a big red wind-up key that I stuck on the back of my car at autocrosses... have to find that sucker again.

When we stopped counting the number of guesses years ago, "Hey, is that a Fiat?" was in the lead. Running a distant second was "Hey, is that an MG?". lol-2.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 13 2014, 09:25 PM) *

I thought about making a big fake hamster wheel. Sticking a young kid in there as I drove around town with them jogging in the wheel evilgrin.gif . Yell at them to go faster when people were close happy11.gif

You are going to need a bunch of kids if you want to autocross. whip[1].gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 13 2014, 12:37 PM) *

In OK they don't believe you, in CA they are suspicious and in OR they flat out ignore you. But, we also have gas attendants that pumped our gas unlike the rest of you uneducated primates lol-2.gif

And here I always thought that if someone had to pump your gas for you that you were the uneducated one... turns out they just don't trust you blink.gif
euro911
Most of the folks I've encountered usually ask if it's a six (more so when I had the Triad dual outlet muffler) ... or if I want to sell it.

As for Californians, I think they've just seen more of these cars around, so they have a pretty good idea what they are confused24.gif

... and as for 'kids' spelling skills these days (any state in the union) ... most of them text and don't know what the fuch a vowel is anyway laugh.gif

poke.gif
veltror
I got tired of being asked what sort of Lotus is it, so did this

ben*james
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 13 2014, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 13 2014, 12:37 PM) *

And here I always thought that if someone had to pump your gas for you that you were the uneducated one... turns out they just don't trust you blink.gif

Probably closer to the truth slap.gif
wobbletop

I told her, "it's a pedal car."

lol-2.gif I'm gonna use that one.
ripper911
That's why it has three pedals. poke.gif
mangrum
I was talking to a guy at a pub recently who said he owned MGs during his younger days. Later in the conversaion I said that I owned two 914s and he responded with "aren't those cars junk?" I looked at him like WTF dude, you just insulted me and my cars, and he said "no, really, aren't they junk?"

What an A-Hole!

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2014, 09:22 PM) *

This is nothing new. It has been happening for years. There is even an episode of the original Hawaii 50 where a woman is driving a 914 and it breaks down. The next scene shows the mechanic in the front trunk telling her that the carburetor is bad. WTF.gif

Years ago, a whole group of 914s got together to go to Austin from DFW for a tour down there. We had stopped for gas, and this woman in a pickup looked at the car and said "I got one of those in the shed behind the house. It's just down the road." Everyone started thinking "Original six" or "916" so we all had to follow her to her place.

This is what we found:

Click to view attachment

At one time Betty and I kept a running total of the number of incorrect guesses at the type of car we were driving. We stopped when we reached 100 wrong guesses.

I still laugh when Betty tells about the kid who walked around her car at an AX. First he looked in the front, and didn't see the motor. Then he looked in the back and didn't see the motor. So he asked her where the motor was...

mtndawg
Somebody once asked me, "Is that a Miata?".
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Jul 14 2014, 11:50 AM) *

Somebody once asked me, "Is that a Miata?".

Reply: "No, it's faster and handles better."
wndsnd
QUOTE(mangrum @ Jul 14 2014, 12:13 PM) *

I was talking to a guy at a pub recently who said he owned MGs during his younger days. Later in the conversaion I said that I owned two 914s and he responded with "aren't those cars junk?" I looked at him like WTF dude, you just insulted me and my cars, and he said "no, really, aren't they junk?"

What an A-Hole!

I brought mine to a local car show at the burger ice cream joint. Guy came over to talk me up and said he once had a MGBGT. I told him "Yeah, I had one of those once, it was the biggist POS I ever owned." Oops, I didn't mean to insult him, but it was, and he agreed. To think I sold a 67 911S and then bought it. Long story............

John

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2014, 09:22 PM) *

This is what we found:

Click to view attachment

mangrum
Yeah, I was going to say something similar about MGs but didn't want to offend anyone here who may own one. I also didn't say anything to the guy but was thinking "really, you say that after admitting you owned British MG crap!"

I try not to diss any car or owner/group. I used to collect VWs. Talk about junk cars! Seriously, I wish I had some of the VWs I used to own. I would be much richer! I know guys who collect Geo Metros. Most marques have their fans. Who am I to say what anyone else should enjoy.

There are many 911 folks who poo poo the 914, but I also know many 911 and 356 owners who also own 914s.

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 14 2014, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mangrum @ Jul 14 2014, 12:13 PM) *

What an A-Hole!

I brought mine to a local car show at the burger ice cream joint. Guy came over to talk me up and said he once had a MGBGT. I told him "Yeah, I had one of those once, it was the biggist POS I ever owned." Oops, I didn't mean to insult him, but it was, and he agreed. To think I sold a 67 911S and then bought it. Long story............

John

wndsnd
Actually, I only know about my GT.

I have always been fond of the MGA's and Midgets.

John
Scott S
I refer to all british cars as "frilly crap" - which is prety funny if you know me/know where I spend most of my free time!!
mrholland2
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jul 14 2014, 12:29 PM) *

I refer to all british cars as "frilly crap" - which is prety funny if you know me/know where I spend most of my free time!!

Victoria's Secret?? poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.