Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twisted Sunday drives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hank914
Sorry, but I'd rather drive my teener than watch futbol, not that there is anything wrong with that. Some of my best friends watch futbol.

Even though it's my daily driver, I took it out this afternoon on my Sunday Drive looking for some twisties.

What are people's best Twisted Roads to drive on?

In the Bay Area, I just did HWY 35 Skyline Blvd, and then took HWY 84 past La Honda to the coast. I also explored Old La Honda Road, which is better on a bicycle or walking! blink.gif What else is there around SF?

And in Oregon, there is HWY 242 (only open June till the snow flies) over the McKenzie Pass.

Where do others go to get the 914's twisted on a Sunday afternoon?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Not my driveway.
Elliot Cannon
If you're ever in Paso Robles. (Call me first). Go west on 6th street which becomes Pacific Ave., which becomes Peachy Canyon Rd. Turn right on Vineyard. Right on Adelaida. Right on G14-Lake Naciemento Rd. Great wineries all along the rte. Drive carefully.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 13 2014, 03:44 PM) *

If you're ever in Paso Robles. (Call me first). Go west on 6th street which becomes Pacific Ave., which becomes Peachy Canyon Rd. Turn right on Vineyard. Right on Adelaida. Right on G14-Lake Naciemento Rd. Great wineries all along the rte. Drive carefully.

that is a beautiful drive, used to drive that when we lived there.
Bruce Hinds
Turkey Creek Canyon Rd. SW of Denver. piratenanner.gif
or Hwy 36 from Lyons to Estes Park!
89A from Flagstaff to So. Cal is a hoot too.
Mike Bellis
Calaveras Road from Sonol to San Jose

Mines Road from Livermore to San Jose

Palomeras Road from Niles to Castro Valley

Sir Francis Drake from San Rafael to the coast

Old Almaded Road from Almaden to Los Gatos

Hwy 9 from Scotts Valley to Saratoga

Hwy 1 from Pacifica to San Luis Obispo

Morgan Territory Road from Livermore to Clayton

Mt. Diablo Road from Danville to the peak and back to Concord

Pleasant Valley Road from Fairfield to where ever it goes (Putah Creek I think)

Hwy 89 from Jackson to South Shore

Hwy 25 from Hollister to Hwy 198 (King City)

Nacimiento Fergussen Road from Forth Hunter Liggett to Hwy 1
Hank914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 13 2014, 08:23 PM) *

Calaveras Road from Sonol to San Jose

Mines Road from Livermore to San Jose

Palomeras Road from Niles to Castro Valley

Sir Francis Drake from San Rafael to the coast

Old Almaded Road from Almaden to Los Gatos

Hwy 9 from Scotts Valley to Saratoga

Hwy 1 from Pacifica to San Luis Obispo

Morgan Territory Road from Livermore to Clayton

Mt. Diablo Road from Danville to the peak and back to Concord

Pleasant Valley Road from Fairfield to where ever it goes (Putah Creek I think)

Hwy 89 from Jackson to South Shore

Hwy 25 from Hollister to Hwy 198 (King City)

Nacimiento Fergussen Road from Forth Hunter Liggett to Hwy 1

Thanks! Exactly what I needed. piratenanner.gif

That'll keep me busy for a few months, since I'm only around here half the weekends. Mt Diablo will be interesting since I used to live in Walnut Creek ages ago but never got over there.
rhodyguy
the back way from randle washington to the columbia river gorge. phenomenal…

attending a wedding in san jose we rented a miata for the weekend, drove to santa cruz, up the coast to half moon bay, inland to the redwood hwy, and found sandhill road(?). challenging to say the least.
ConeDodger
I take a right out of my driveway and two left turns and I'm on Mt. Rose Highway. It goes to Lake Tahoe and those of you gamers will recognize it from Need For Speed... driving.gif
damesandhotrods
Highways 9, 84, and 35 south of Highway 92 are great drives. I just generally avoid them on weekends because of the crotch rockets. They don’t respect the yellow lines, and they don’t fear blind corners. I’ve seen and been caught behind to many motorcycle accidents up there.

It going to sound like heresy, but Highway 1 from Pacifica to Monterey is not for driving. It’s a pleasant roof off cruise and enjoy the scenery. It’s not that winding, and it tops too many tourists to do lists…
1stworks
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jul 13 2014, 08:03 PM) *

Turkey Creek Canyon Rd. SW of Denver. piratenanner.gif
or Hwy 36 from Lyons to Estes Park!
89A from Flagstaff to So. Cal is a hoot too.

Big fan Deer Creek Canyon here

biggrin.gif
Keyser Sose
Hwy 130 from Alum Rock Park in east San Jose to the observatory on top of Mt. Hamilton, a slalom the whole way, then down the east side and north to Livermore. Tight as a lot of autocross courses.

Over in the Sierras try Hwy 49, especially the stretch between Coulterville and Mariposa, the Little Dragon. Also over Sonora pass, then up 395 and back over Hwy 4. A bit of a hike from where you are and not for carbureted cars, the passes are up to 11,000 ft, and carbs run out of breath, but really worth the time.
mgp4591
Beartooth Pass, Million Dollar Hwy, Gallatin River Gateway, Tin Cup Rd (between Soda Springs and Freedom Id) and a hundred other mountain and valley passes I've had the privilege of riding my bike on, but I'm still waiting to take the 914 on even one of them... frustrating. But hey, there's always the next ride... shades.gif
914_teener
I have a new favorite besides Glendora Mountain Road.

Angles Crest up the 2 to Mt. Wilson.....stop at the Observatory...then up to 7k to Newcombes Ranch for a cold beer.

Then down the backside into the High desert down Cajon
ClayPerrine
Hwy 1 from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas. Runs across the top of the ridgeline. Lots of up and down and twisty bits. Very scenic. Gets crowded with the leaf peepers in the fall.

Arkansas Hwy 23... known as "Pig Trail". Lots of twisties. Ends at the city of Ozark, Arkansas. Good food at the Ozark restaurant right at the end of the Pig Trail.

cwpeden
Been on a couple CA tours, 198 to Coalinga is fun. Havent been there in years, probably wont again. My wife isnt a fan of the twisties since having kids. dry.gif Anyone else have this prob?
1stworks
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jul 15 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Been on a couple CA tours, 198 to Coalinga is fun. Havent been there in years, probably wont again. My wife isnt a fan of the twisties since having kids. dry.gif Anyone else have this prob?

+1
74 sunflower 914
California 190 Westbound (downslope) in the lower Sierras has to be one of the best 914 roads I've ever driven. It makes a nice loop to head up along the Kern River from Lake Isabella through Kernville and stop in the mountains at the Trail of 100 Giants first.
seareef228
Ortega hwy for me
so cal
Michael N
Old Santa Cruz highway from Lexington Dam to Summit Rd then continued over to Capitola. driving.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jul 15 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Invest in Dramamine! It's worked when my grown kids with children of their own go to the amusement park- we're coaster geeks and my girls won't give up! barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.