Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swooshdave
IPB Image
Someone has tried to install an aftermarket radio. I'm not sure how badly they have managed the dash doing so. I want to remove it. I assume the newer radios are bigger and the hole in the dash is going to be too big for the stock radio. I will have to find something suitable. On this one the faceplate doesn't stay on and besides who the heck still has cassettes? mad.gif

I'm afraid to listen to the tape I found in the deck. Even if I had something to play it with. sheeplove.gif

IPB Image
How do I get it out? Just pry it?

IPB Image
I crawled behind the dash but didn't try to get it out. Yet.

IPB Image
There are door speakers so the door panels are already messed up. Can I assume the grill to the left housed the stock speakers? The drivers side one is missing. hissyfit.gif
hndyhrr
3rd pic, see the tab on the underneath side,should be able to push them in as you slide radio out,that will take radio body out and leave a sleeve in dash that should be easy to wiggle out, and yes those are stock speaker covers.
billh1963
I don't understand the dislike for new radios. I just finished up installation of a new Alpine radio (with satellite), Infinity speakers in the stock speaker grill and a power antenna in my '72.

I understand a stock radio for CW types. But, if you drive your car for longer distances a nice radio with CD and satellite is a great addition.

swooshdave
So no chance of going back to stock radio?
Cap'n Krusty
"Stock radio"? There was no stock radio. All 914 radios in the USA (and maybe the rest of the world) were aftermarket. If you want to install an antiquated radio in your car, you're going to have to fabricate a mounting plate to fill the large hole left by the DIN compliant radio you have there.

The Cap'n
swooshdave
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2014, 06:34 PM) *

"Stock radio"? There was no stock radio. All 914 radios in the USA (and maybe the rest of the world) were aftermarket. If you want to install an antiquated radio in your car, you're going to have to fabricate a mounting plate to fill the large hole left by the DIN compliant radio you have there.

The Cap'n

So the radio shown in the owners manual (listed as optional) was dealer installed?

And the speaker mounts in the footwells? Also dealer installed?
swooshdave
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X360BT/Pio...BT.html?tp=5684

I guess it's been a while since I was car stereo shopping. $100 will get you a Bluetooth streaming radio with hand free phone. Includes a USB port so I don't have to worry about where to charge the phone at.
Mike Bellis
Bluetooth radios are a challenge in a 914. There is so much engine noise behind the drive that it is hard to hear and be herd. I now use my iphone headphones for calls while I'm driving.
swooshdave
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 13 2014, 09:05 PM) *

Bluetooth radios are a challenge in a 914. There is so much engine noise behind the drive that it is hard to hear and be herd. I now use my iphone headphones for calls while I'm driving.

Given your car I bet it would be! beerchug.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jul 13 2014, 06:28 PM) *

So no chance of going back to stock radio?

You can get a faceplate for a Blaupunkt Frankfurt at the link below. I believe they can also make a blockoff plate for about the same $8.95 price.

http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1507

IPB Image
swooshdave
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 13 2014, 09:23 PM) *

You can get a faceplate for a Blaupunkt Frankfurt at the link below. I believe they can also make a blockoff plate for about the same $8.95 price.

http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1507

IPB Image

$9? Might need to save up for that. biggrin.gif
swooshdave
I'd actually like the original radio in the stock location and then hide a modern radio, if I can.
vw505
I took mine out and put a Rennmetal three guage pod in mine.
swooshdave
QUOTE(vw505 @ Jul 14 2014, 09:59 AM) *

I took mine out and put a Rennmetal three guage pod in mine.

Picture?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.