Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Allen Nuts/bolts WTF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
What is the reason for Porsche using Allen nuts/bolts on 911 engines? I have had nothing but a bitch of a time getting the exhaust, rockers, and cam tower off.

When looking at the places they used them I see no reason WHY IPB Image IPB Image .

I am about 2-3 more tries way from stripping a rocker allen nut. It has a smal 5mm and a larger 8mm allen nut holding the rocker on. I am turning the 5mm one only and it doesn't want to give IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

If I strip this nut I am F&^k'd IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Okay
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Better now

Cheers
Dominic
Kerry,
Soak those with penetrating oil, RUST OFF (the german stuff), or liquid wrench....choose your poison, and let it soak for a few days before attempting to remove. I also learned the hard way on a 911 exhaust stud. I feel your pain IPB Image
SLITS
They assumed the car would rust away before you had to disassemble anything. IPB Image
DNHunt
Look at this Thread. You're not as F*&Ked as he is. I can't offer any advice but you guys shoulds get together.

Dave
Root_Werks
Porsche used allen bolts in some tight places. The allen bolts slipped up through the heater boxes or would bolt on the starter where a wrench or socket wasn't really useable.

Hang in there Kerry, soak, soak, maybe even a little heat and soak some more. Allen heads rock, but only if your tool is top notch and fits tight. It is when they have a loose fit they can strip out.

Hope you get it. IPB Image
scotty b
Obviously you guys have never worked on Jeeps! They used torx bolts EVERYWHERE. That is the worst design flaw ever!! The seatbelt bolts are the worst since they rust soooo badly. Dominic, is that you 356? I think I saw it or one very similar at the Yorktown flood errrr show.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.