Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: silly question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I've got a '70 914-6 and I am replacing the shifter/shifter base with a rennshift. James was good enough to get me a base so that I can keep my hand throttle. Problem is getting it off the original base. It looks like I need to pull the black knob off but before I did that I wanted to see if I need to heat it up first? Soak it in warm water? I don't want to break it getting it off and on.

TIA,
Mike

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Jul 14 2014, 06:09 PM) *

I've got a '70 914-6 and I am replacing the shifter/shifter base with a rennshift. James was good enough to get me a base so that I can keep my hand throttle. Problem is getting it off the original base. It looks like I need to pull the black knob off but before I did that I wanted to see if I need to heat it up first? Soak it in warm water? I don't want to break it getting it off and on.

TIA,
Mike

Click to view attachment

Turn the whole assembly upside down, then spray some PB Blaster on the rod next to the black handle. Let the PBB run into the black handle. Set overnight. Should unscrew easily.

mikelsr
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 14 2014, 08:42 PM) *

Turn the whole assembly upside down, then spray some PB Blaster on the rod next to the black handle. Let the PBB run into the black handle. Set overnight. Should unscrew easily.

So the black knob screws off? Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Jul 14 2014, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 14 2014, 08:42 PM) *

So the black knob screws off? Thanks.

yes, just like the red heater knob
mikelsr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2014, 09:15 PM) *

yes, just like the red heater knob

Like I said, a silly question. I didn't try to unscrew it. It is off and will be in the car tomorrow. Thanks!
sbsix
Mike, if you need a new black throttle knob, e-mail Mikey914 at 914Rubber. Only place on the planet to get a new (replica) knob for a six.
mikelsr
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 15 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Mike, if you need a new black throttle knob, e-mail Mikey914 at 914Rubber. Only place on the planet to get a new (replica) knob for a six.

Thanks. I watch 914 Rubber and I need to put in an order soon for the top gaskets.
mepstein
if you sand and polish, it can look like new.
mikelsr
I got the shifter in place and find that the bolt on the shift pivot is hitting the sides of the tunnel. Is the bolt supposed to be a special size (head/nut thickness)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.