Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer not working, help request
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Windshield washer question:

I have only owned this car for a month or two, and am still checking things out on it.

Today I filled up the wiper fluid reservoir and attached the hose to the spare tire. No go when I tried to use the washer via the lever. Not sure if it's a clog in the nozzles, or what. But, I could hear air escaping at the reservoir cap where the hose enters it.

Should I try getting a new cap for the reservoir? If so, where do I find one? Any other suggestions? What are the proper steps I should follow to diagnose?

Thanks!
mepstein
I would not bother hooking up the system. Its notorious for leaking under the dash.
rgalla9146
If you must have working squirters re-plumb the whole system to operate with an electric pump.
There is even a momentary switch in the directional mechanism to activate the pump.
Unless you like to wash your pants while driving.
I'm sure it's been covered here.
Search.
Cuda911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2014, 03:21 AM) *

I would not bother hooking up the system. Its notorious for leaking under the dash.

Yeah, I've read that about the under-dash leaks, and also about hooking up an electric pump as mentioned above by rgalla. I think I'll just leave it disconnected.

Figured if it was a simple small fix I'd go for it. But, probably not worth the effort if it takes more than 12 minutes in time and $6 in parts.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 15 2014, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 15 2014, 03:21 AM) *

Yeah, I've read that about the under-dash leaks, and also about hooking up an electric pump as mentioned above by rgalla. I think I'll just leave it disconnected.

Figured if it was a simple small fix I'd go for it. But, probably not worth the effort if it takes more than 12 minutes in time and $6 in parts.

Carry some wipes for the glass in a ziplock and you'll be way ahead.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 15 2014, 09:15 AM) *

I think I'll just leave it disconnected.

IPB Image

To be on the safe side, I would check the driver's side carpet, just to be sure water hasn't leaked into it. When I first got my car, I did the same as you and quickly discovered a bunch of water had leaked out and formed a mini swimming pool in the driver's well.
saigon71
I went through the same thing in the Spring. Unless you feel the need to keep everything completely factory, the stock windshield washer system isn't worth fixing in my opinion.

Grab a pump, momentary switch, some new tubing, wire and be done with it. Works well with the stock reservoir.

Spoke
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 15 2014, 12:15 PM) *

I think I'll just leave it disconnected.

Working windshield washer is mandatory for auto inspection in PA. Not sure about CA. It only needs to work for the inspection. beerchug.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 15 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Working windshield washer is mandatory for auto inspection in PA. Not sure about CA.

The only mandatory auto inspection in California is for smog, and that applies only to cars from model year 1976 and onward.
Cuda911
Yep, no safety inspection in CA. Just smog inspection '76 and forward cars.

You can drive a car just fine here even if it has no brakes, a rotted frame, rotted tires, and a broken suspension. But lord help you if you put an an aftermarket exhaust tip.

Based on your opinions above, a mini bottle of Windex and a microfiber will be added to my kit (I always carry microfibers and some spray wax in the car).

Now, I need to siphon out that whole reservoir of wiper fluid I guess.
dlkawashima
I use an e-cloth for windows. I was skeptical at first, but after using it a while, I think it's pretty good. On sale here:

http://www.ecloth.com/Glass-Polishing-Clot...price-of-1.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.