Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage Regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
There are several threads on this issue but no definitive answer that I have found.

I need to replace the voltage regulator on one of the 914's. I see there is the original style Bosch for around $100 and the new solid state units starting around $20

I know the original style works. But the idea of solid state for less money is appealing. For a casual driver (not racing, auto crossing, etc.) does anyone have any negative experiences with the solid state units?
luskesq
I've had a solid state for a number of years with no issues and if I needed to replace would buy another.

Keith
914Sixer
The new Bosch metal ones are solid state. They are half the size of the old style. You are probably paying extra for the Bosch name. On the flip side, the solid state one I bought did not fit the relay board the way I liked. It was about 1/8 short and was bent at an angle over the side. Try the cheap regulator from Beru. Around $35.
Drums66
QUOTE(luskesq @ Jul 15 2014, 01:50 PM) *

I've had a solid state for a number of years with no issues and if I needed to replace would buy another.

Keith

...Same here(solid state) thumb3d.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
MrHyde
I just switched to a old analog one from a solid state.. Got a beru one from the FLAPS and it didn't quite fit but once I made new screw holes in the side of the relay panel it was just fine.. while driving it was constantly around 14-15 volts. Put in a new analog style Bosch VR and now it stays constant at 13 volts and fits properly..
billh1963
Thank you for the replies. I'll get a solid state one and give it a try. However, I will need to pay attention to it. From what I have read MrHyde's experience is not unique...several people have had trouble with overvoltage.
GeorgeRud
Many years ago, we had a German fellow in Chicago that ran an electrical rebuilding shop. I was having some issues with my original voltage regulator and wanted to buy another one. He had the equipment (and interest) to check the original, and said it just needed adjustment. He adjusted it, but I bought a new one as well just to be sure and have a spare. That was over 20 years ago, so I think those old Bosch ones were pretty well made back then as the new one is still in the box in my front trunk.
type47
Any advice as to which VR I should ask for at my FLAPS? Part number, model number, manufacturer ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.