Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New car, interesting problems...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocketv
So I bought this great little red '74 914 with a structure that is almost as clean and solid as my 2008 Cayman S. I figured that with the it being this solid, I can fix anything else, right? I forgot my inexperience with wiring and all that smoke inside.
I drove the car home (about 40 miles) and everything went fine, what a great car! When I pulled into the driveway, the idle dropped WAY down and the engine struggled to run, although it didn't die. It's been parked in the garage while I fix the myriad little things that need attention (the key only worked in one door, the stereo isn't hooked up, the gauges in the console aren't hooked up, things like that) and it has a definite fuel smell coming from the right side of the engine. No leaks, just an odor.
The engine has D-Jet injection, but I don't know if it's a 1.8 or a 2.0. There is a K&N cone air filter mounted, but all the vapor recovery lines appear to be attached. I've been all over the car, but can't seem to find the origin of the fuel odor. I also don't see the fuel filter that seems to be in so many photos. This is my first air cooled engine, so I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Rich
Java2570
Hi Rich - did you buy the '74 that was at Don Hinds Ford? Take a bunch of pics and post them here! Lots of smart people here can answer all your questions.....
If it's D Jet, it's a 2.0L....I believe all 1.8L were L Jet. The 2.0L cylinder heads have
3 bolts where the intakes attach so that is a good indicator. If it is the car I referred to, I looked at it on the dealer lot and it looked me like it had seen some modifications.
I never saw the engine though.....

wndsrfr
Start simple...replace the gas cap with one with a known good gasket...double check the vapor lines....mine were cracked at the drivers side rocker panel entry in the front wheel well.
GaroldShaffer
welcome.png

it could be a few different issues. Had a similar problem a few years ago and it was a head temp sensor. Lets start by figuring out what engine you have. Do the intake runners have three or 4 bolts holding them? 3 = 2.0L 4= 1.8L (for a 74)

Also shameless plug, but if you have time come on up to my place in Portage IN on Aug 16th for our yearly BBQ

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Java2570
welcome.png I forgot to add the welcome! Also, if you are smelling fuel around the engine compartment, check below for the fuel pump and filter and check condition of all fuel hoses. Here is a link that shows a '73 that has a stock mounted pump...unless yours has been relocated to the front ala "75/76 cars. I'd be really sure that you've got no fuel leaks from the fuel lines and make sure the hoses aren't rotting.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80081
Rocketv
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to start at the source of the odor and work from there. So how difficult is it remove the engine tins, or do I get to the fuel pump from the bottom? I haven't put the car on jack stands yet because I'm still doing some stuff in the interior and I have the top off.

Java- Yes this is the car from Don Hinds. I was so shocked when they accepted my insultingly low offer that for a moment, I didn't know what to say. Regardless, the car is solid and rust free, so I'm happy. It has been modified and has a collection of different parts installed, and the accumulation of leaves makes me believe it sat for a time. It also has a lot of "tails" coming from all over the underside of the dash, so who knows what has been done to the electrical system. Everything works right now except the horn and the stereo, so I'm not too scared...

Garold- I'm hoping to have the car ready for the trip to Portage for your party, watch this space for updates! Thanks for the invite, all kidding aside, I hope to make it. I'm also hoping to debut the car at IMS at the Porsche Platz on July 25th. If it's not ready, I'll have to drive my Cayman. I'm easy to spot, it's the only orange one in the state.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

and the madness...
Java2570
Rich - you can get at the fuel pump from below.....while you probably could take some of the engine tin off without dropping the motor, it's not very easy to do. I'd put it up on some jack stands and go underneath. I'm not positive how long the Ford dealer had the car on the lot. I looked at it about a month or so ago. It looked like a very nice car but they listed it for too much....glad to hear they took your offer for it. Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.