Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I could use some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Hi here's my story sad but true. I just purchased a 1972 914 that's has a 1.8 1974 motor converted to a single carburetor. I was able to start it, it idles but back fires. I was checking the plugs and two are hot and dry while two were wet so not firing. I went on line and found wiring diagrams but when I tried those the card wouldn't even start. I've had a 914 but was fuel injected so this is all new to me. Does anyone have a diagram or suggestion on trouble shooting? Thanks in advance!
Cap'n Krusty
The induction system has NO bearing on the plug wire configuration. Find TDC #1, verify by removing the left valve cover and checking the #1 rocker arms for free play. Put the valve cover back on, making sure it's properly seated. Remove the distributor cap and verify that the tip of the rotor is centered in the little hash mark on the body of the distributor. That's #1. Put the #1 wire in the position in the cap that aligns with that mark. Moving around the cap in a counter clockwise direction, install wire #2, then #3 (straight across from #1), and finally #4. If you look closely, the cylinder numbers are embossed on the top cylinder tins, so identifying the cylinders should be pretty easy.............................

BTW, the carburetor/manifold combination you have is well known (except to the folks selling them) to have symptoms exactly as you describe, and ignition is the least of your problems.

The Cap'n
rmital
where are you in New Jersey....I'm up north in Bergen County. Plenty of us around to stop by and give you a hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.