Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
This is the first time I have had one of these apart. It might be difficult to tell from these pictures but can anyone tell me if these are in OK shape or not? I have no idea how much mileage is on them. These are from a spare axle I carry on long trips. What should I be looking for when I have one of these apart?
Cheers, Elliot
Mike Bellis
Check the cage for stress cracks. If none, put it back together. smile.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 16 2014, 06:42 PM) *

Check the cage for stress cracks. If none, put it back together. smile.gif

agree.gif I had a hairline crack on one of mine; pretty easy to see. smile.gif
914Sixer
If everything snaps when you put it back together you should be good to go.
76-914
Uh oh, roll the trucks. Your in the toolbox again. Look for bluing of the metal, rough spots, pitting, any scratching/scaring. Smooth surfaces are good. When reassembled and on the shaft, put it in a vice and yank on it while sliding the axle. When mine were toast they made a distinct loud clunk when yanked. poke.gif Don't hurt yourself getting that beveled washer back on.
pcar916
As stated above, smooth is the ticket. Truly deep grooving is on the edge and galling is the kiss of CV death. Darned messy job no matter how you cut it.

In case you haven't considered it it, use good synthetic grease on these. Massively increases CV life.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.