Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New toy (aka I have the best dad EVER)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mere's_72_914
I guess I've been lurking long enough, especially since the "restore" has begun and I will be bombarding you guys with questions.

I am the new owner of a '72 914 2.0L with dual carbs. My dad gifted me the car over the 4th of July (best dad EVER!). He bought it about 12 years ago to do the PCA & SCCA road races in b/c the gravel on the airstrips was tearing up the paint on his 996. Well his mistake was letting me race it. I fell in love wub.gif . I have been hounding him for years to let me "borrow" it (with no intention to return it). WEll it has sat in his driveway for the last 5 years as he and my mother have been traveling too much to race. So I convinced him about a month ago to put it on a flatbed and haul it 9 hours to me smile.gif

My husband and I, with the help of our mechanically inclined and super-restorer buddy, are going to try and restore her back to her original condition.

I have the paperwork dating back to when the original owner purchased it from Continental Porsche Audi of Tucson. My dad bought it from the son of the original owner. In 1984, the original owner had the engine redone at a Porsche place in Houston and changed it from fuel injection to the dual carbs. She also kept meticulous service records by writing out why the service was performed and stapling it to the receipts for the work. The engine appears to be in decent shape, minus a compression issue that we are going to dive into this weekend (and might deserve its own thread). The interior is what is the roughest. My dad ripped the carpet out as it had molded in the south Texas humidity. The paint will be redone as the last step.

Oh and for the statistic keepers, I am a chick smile.gif

Enough of my blabbering... here are some pictures.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Java2570
welcome.png

of course, we will need more photos!!
billh1963
Looks to have a lot of potential!

A '72 only had one engine choice (a 1.7). Was the engine replaced?
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 17 2014, 10:24 AM) *

Looks to have a lot of potential!

A '72 only had one engine choice (a 1.7). Was the engine replaced?

Thanks! And yes in the 80s. 84 I think. she had it changed from fuel injection to dual carbs.
ClayPerrine
welcome.png

My wife wants to know what you did to piss off your dad? Is this him trying to ground you? (FYI..she got me started with 914s 28 years ago.)

In all seriousness, welcome. Feel free to ask questions. There are lots of us here that have been around these cars for a long time and are willing to help. I would volunteer to help on your car, but it is a long trip from DFW to Amarillo.

Chris Pincetich
welcome.png
Keep it running and driving, and have fun. The 914 is the project that never ends beerchug.gif
stugray
she had it changed from fuel injection to dual carbs.

Then it might have been an "upgrade" to a 2.0L by installing larger pistons & cylinders.
An important question is: Does it have 2.0L heads on it?
To tell, look at how many bolts hold on the intake manifolds to the heads.

If #=4, then the heads are 1.7/1.8L.
If #=3, then the heads are 2.0L (the better ones)

welcome.png

(I wish we had a "Welcome to the Madness" banner)
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2014, 10:33 AM) *

welcome.png

My wife wants to know what you did to piss off your dad? Is this him trying to ground you? (FYI..she got me started with 914s 28 years ago.)

In all seriousness, welcome. Feel free to ask questions. There are lots of us here that have been around these cars for a long time and are willing to help. I would volunteer to help on your car, but it is a long trip from DFW to Amarillo.

I think I finally just wore him out asking about it! Plus he knows I have a thing for horses, these particular ones are just under the hood (or grate as the case may be)

Thanks for the offer. If we get really stuck I can haul it to you biggrin.gif (arent you glad you offered). Its closer (5 hrs) than hauling it to my dad (9hrs) smile.gif
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 17 2014, 10:38 AM) *

she had it changed from fuel injection to dual carbs.

Then it might have been an "upgrade" to a 2.0L by installing larger pistons & cylinders.
An important question is: Does it have 2.0L heads on it?
To tell, look at how many bolts hold on the intake manifolds to the heads.

If #=4, then the heads are 1.7/1.8L.
If #=3, then the heads are 2.0L (the better ones)

welcome.png

(I wish we had a "Welcome to the Madness" banner)

I will have to look for sure, but my dad (who has redone the carbs and some other work on it) told me it is a 2.0L.
aircooledtechguy
beerchug.gif Congrats!! Looks like a great car to start-off with. I look forward to seeing your progress. driving.gif
Mere's_72_914
More pics of the outside. There is very minor rust up by the front blinker, the bumper pad has seen better days, and the sails (?) are curling up at the bottom.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
hndyhrr
welcome.png

from one girlie to another
ConeDodger
Nice socks! biggrin.gif

My daughter wants mine too... mad.gif
SirAndy
welcome.png driving-girl.gif

That doesn't look that bad!

Now get some jackstands and start looking for rust. It'll be there ...
biggrin.gif
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2014, 12:09 PM) *

Nice socks! biggrin.gif

She must have good taste, as well biggrin.gif clap56.gif
76-914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2014, 10:09 AM) *

Nice socks! biggrin.gif

Then give them to her. They probably look strange on you, anyway. biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Mere's_72_914 @ Jul 17 2014, 08:50 AM) *
There is very minor rust up by the front blinker ...
Just go to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of blinker fluid ... that'll take of that problem laugh.gif

poke.gif

welcome.png
wndsrfr
Welcome....nice car & when you pull off the rocker panels you'll get a glimpse of the glow of the original paint......it's a fabulous color. Don't cheap out on the repainting....get Glasurit in the original and it'll blow you away!
Betty
welcome.png

Greetings from another chick. driving-girl.gif

Clay's right - I've had my car longer than I've had him! biggrin.gif

Holler if you need help... PLEASE holler if you need parts! You should see how much junk, I mean wonderful 914 parts we have in our attic...
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 17 2014, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mere's_72_914 @ Jul 17 2014, 08:50 AM) *
There is very minor rust up by the front blinker ...
Just go to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of blinker fluid ... that'll take of that problem laugh.gif

poke.gif

welcome.png

OMG I totally think I have some in the garage that I use in my truck laugh.gif rolleyes.gif If I'm out I can run down to O'Reillys, I think they sell it. lol-2.gif
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 18 2014, 08:38 AM) *

welcome.png

Greetings from another chick. driving-girl.gif

Clay's right - I've had my car longer than I've had him! biggrin.gif

Holler if you need help... PLEASE holler if you need parts! You should see how much junk, I mean wonderful 914 parts we have in our attic...

Thanks Betty! I will let you know if when I need parts smile.gif
Mere's_72_914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 17 2014, 09:13 PM) *

Welcome....nice car & when you pull off the rocker panels you'll get a glimpse of the glow of the original paint......it's a fabulous color. Don't cheap out on the repainting....get Glasurit in the original and it'll blow you away!

Where do I get said paint?

The inside of both trunks has paint that is in great condition. That's what I am aiming for on the outside. I posted in a different thread the following picture:Click to view attachment
DEC
welcome.png driving-girl.gif
green914
welcome.png hope you enjoy many hours of driving.gif
orthobiz
Great car, great color. Ditch the Riviera wheels and get some steelies! Good luck...

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.