Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: time for some motivation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
My car's aesthetics have gone downhill pretty quick this year. It's time for me to get to work, but I'm just too damn lazy and cheap.

IPB Image

It used to look so good, nice fresh satan black trunks, shiny paint...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then during one of the cold snaps earlier in the year the paint cracked, I guess water got on there and froze. IIt's starting to rust worse than I wanted to let it get. I haven't even washed it lately.

At least I drive it every day! driving.gif bootyshake.gif
carr914
Take them to a Powder Coater. Drive the car there, take them off & drive home. They will Blast them & Coat them
ripper911
I guess the easiest thing would be to take the spoiler off before powder coating. Any idea about how much something like this would cost to have done?
bandjoey
Motivation = one hour a day then STOP go drink a beer and watch Sharknado. You'll be surprised at what is finished in a few weeks. Cheap ? Gritty sandpaper and Krylon paint. You'll look good for another year. Drive it U own it!
Krieger
Maybe you should sell it to someone that will properly care for the car. Hate to see crap like this...
wndsnd
Sand with orbital and Plastidip..

John
ripper911
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 17 2014, 08:56 PM) *

Motivation = one hour a day then STOP go drink a beer and watch Sharknado. You'll be surprised at what is finished in a few weeks. Cheap ? Gritty sandpaper and Krylon paint. You'll look good for another year. Drive it U own it!

That's how I did it last time. It held up for a couple of years or more. I'll need to find a front lid to throw on it while I'm doing the work, I have an extra rear already. I remembering it taking quite a bit of paint last time.
Elliot Cannon
"Lazy and cheap". Pretty much sums up the average 914 owner. av-943.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 17 2014, 02:45 PM) *

Take them to a Powder Coater. Drive the car there, take them off & drive home. They will Blast them & Coat them

There is foam inside the hood and trunk around the latch area. The heat of a powder coat oven will destroy it. Might even drip down as it melts and make a mess on the under side. Blasting each panel will probably cost about $100 each. That is what a local soda blaster told me. Rick V8 pointed it out that applying heat in that area can create rust issues later.
jmalone
Powder coating is also likely to warp the heck out of the panels. Sandblasting wont help either as it creates heat and will work harden sheet metal. I am sure that any neighborhood kid say between the age of 8-15 would love to try their hand at spray bombing your ride. Just remember no Gang tagsl
Hank914
At least I drive it every day!

...and that is all that matters! The creators did not focus on how pretty their precious would look after however many years sitting in a garage. Porsches were designed to actually be driven, not parked! And yes, sometimes driven in the F'ing rain! Did you all ever wonder why they put windshield wipers on them? And what's a ski rack for, if not for taking it up to a ski resort to go skiing, in the actual snow!

Keep on driving it! Every day! And enjoy the ride, every day!

If some parts rust while your driving it, well, so what? Refinish or replace, and move on, all the while your driving it, since Porsches were meant to be driven, not just looked at.
mgp4591
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 17 2014, 03:33 PM) *

My car's aesthetics have gone downhill pretty quick this year. It's time for me to get to work, but I'm just too damn lazy and cheap.

It used to look so good, nice fresh satan black trunks, shiny paint...

Then during one of the cold snaps earlier in the year the paint cracked, I guess water got on there and froze. IIt's starting to rust worse than I wanted to let it get. I haven't even washed it lately.

At least I drive it every day! driving.gif bootyshake.gif

So is it the beer and whiskey that's taking up your clean up time?! lol-2.gif
Cuda911
Last year a friend of mine with a 914 on par with your car sprayed it with a few cans of Rustoleum from Home Depot. Still looked like crap, but looked pretty decent when standing across the parking lot from it.

He was able to sell it a short while later for 5K. And, his Rustoleum paint job was the best thing about the condition of that car.
ripper911
Im thinking I'll just put my other rear trunk lid on, but it has a luggage rack so where would I play chess???

IPB Image

I used an automotive primer and paint in spray cans that they sell at home depot last time. I think I sprayed over a dozen coats before I got it smooth enough for me, so it's certainly not a one or two day project. It looked good for a couple of years, so I think I'll do it that way again.
ripper911
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 18 2014, 03:16 AM) *

So is it the beer and whiskey that's taking up your clean up time?! lol-2.gif

The whiskey definitely helps keep me occupied, and my neighbor keeps bring over nasty beer. barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.