Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 conversion exhaust gaskets.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
I bought a 2L -6 conversion project that I am completing. It came with headers and a Magnaflow exhaust. The head exhaust port is 32 mm (1 1/4"), the new gasket from PP is 36mm (1 3/8"), the header is 38mm (1 1/2").

Click to view attachment

The gasket will obviously crush on the head but doesn't look like the copper crush area will contact the rim of the header. Magnaflow web site doesn't offer gaskets (and doesn't even offer Porsche in the drop down). PP only lists the one gasket size and isn't open for calls yet.

Option A: play dumb, bolt together and see what happens...

Option B: clean up road grime and oil from exhaust system while waiting to hear forum comments.

Thanks everybody.
SLITS
From the head port .... as long as the gasket is larger than the port and the down pipe of the headers is larger, you will not interfere with exhaust port flow.

Bolt it up and see if it leaks. If it leaks, you have more work to do. If it doesn't leak, it's not a problem.

My opinion and $0.05.
Maltese Falcon
...your next concern is loosing the header wrap.
I'm looking at about 6 to 10" of disintegrating steel in your near future headbang.gif
Marty
eyesright
There, that's much better.

Click to view attachment

I was more worried about exhaust leak than interfering with flow seeing that the copper ring won't seat on the header metal. Anyway, PP says, "everybody uses what's in stock", so that, plus the nickel advice, I 'll bolt things up and proceed. I bet it'll work great. Thanks.

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 18 2014, 08:18 AM) *

I'm looking at about 6 to 10" of disintegrating steel in your near future headbang.gif
Marty

I assume the wrap on the header was for insulation for some nearby control cable or something that will be apparent when I bolt things up. These sixes and headers are new to me. Has any one had problems with corrosion under the wrap or is there something else I need to consider?

Jeffs9146
I put my insulation on the cables and oil line instead of the header!
SLITS
With header wrap, the metal gets exceedingly hot and crystallizes.

We used it on the race cars, because the headers were a throw-away .... we had a jig to make new ones.

It will take a while ... time parameters are unknown to me.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 18 2014, 03:40 PM) *

I put my insulation on the cables and oil line instead of the header!

+1
Fire Sleeve the cables instead of the header tubes.
Example of header wrap = disintegrationClick to view attachment
eyesright
HOLY KRAPPE!!! Look what I found. I'll keep this topic alive one more time in hopes that no one here will become a DAPO.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 18 2014, 08:18 AM) *

Marty

Thanks for your heads up. I didn't think of corrosion till your caution above and was unaware of the possibility of metal failure.

I'll clean the pipe up and get some high temp paint and just keep a close eye on things I guess. And I'll find some wrap for the cables if that looks like a problem.

Thanks to the Forum I dodged a bullet! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.