Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Came across a nice 76 for sale.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deputydog95
Any red flags?

Scotty saw a couple. Curious what the rest of you think about condition and price.

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/2195/1976-Porsche-914
draganc
The pics looks good but for $20k I would have a very thorough inspection from one of the pro members of the club.
Cap'n Krusty
I see it has the rare "4 speed" option .....................

The Cap'n
bdstone914
Condition looks great. Cat had been eliminated. May not be an issue if you don't have smog laws. Personally I would not spend 20k on a 76.
TravisNeff
It had dealer installed AC, as you can see from the front trunk picture (from below)
Drums66
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 18 2014, 10:01 AM) *

Condition looks great. Cat had been eliminated. May not be an issue if you don't have smog laws. Personally I would not spend 20k on a 76.

....I prefer the late cars,....but I wouldn't either idea.gif
(it would have to be "primo")
flag.gif bye1.gif(try for a car in the background!)
carr914
Well, it's a 76, it once had A/C (Front Trunk Repair & the Center Console), Center Console Gauges are wrong, The Battery Tray & Hell-Hole have been repaired - that tells you there was significant Rust, Crappy Paint Job, Where's the Rain Tray?, Shitty FLAPS Radio, looks like maybe a Dash Cap.

If that is just from looking at it for a few seconds, how good was the Mechanical Restoration?

Then you have to Ship it.
deputydog95
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2014, 12:35 PM) *

The Cap'n

Are you referring to the listing details? Looks like a typ0:)
deputydog95
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2014, 01:36 PM) *

Well, it's a 76, it once had A/C (Front Trunk Repair & the Center Console), Center Console Gauges are wrong, The Battery Tray & Hell-Hole have been repaired - that tells you there was significant Rust, Crappy Paint Job, Where's the Rain Tray?, Shitty FLAPS Radio, looks like maybe a Dash Cap.

If that is just from looking at it for a few seconds, how good was the Mechanical Restoration?

Then you have to Ship it.

Ship it? If I can't fly and drive, then it's not the car for me smile.gif
carr914
If I buy a Car more than 200 Miles away that I don't everything about, I ship it.

I can tell you that car is not worth 20K

We are not far off on my car, it's a Local Car and it's a 73 2.0 Appearance Group Car - everything this Yellow car is not!
carr914
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Jul 18 2014, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 18 2014, 12:35 PM) *

The Cap'n

Are you referring to the listing details? Looks like a typ0:)

More like the Seller doesn't know anything about the car!
TravisNeff
It appears to be a somewhat nice car, but I would think you could get something similar for half the price or less.

check ebay for sold listings of 914s and you can see how much people are really paying. Oh, the rear trunk lid is a little fuquered up (its bent up on the drivers side)
Chris H.
Well, for starters that appears to be the car Ferg just sold right here on the BBS for about $12k. TC's is a better buy IMO. '73 2.0 with documented low mileage, well-known car.
green914
agree.gif worth about half of asking price. popcorn[1].gif
carr914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 18 2014, 02:37 PM) *

Well, for starters that appears to be the car Ferg just sold right here on the BBS for about $12k. TC's is a better buy IMO. '73 2.0 with documented low mileage, well-known car.

Bingo!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=237485&hl=

I wasn't meaning to rag on Ferg's car earlier, just pointing out things that didn't make it a $20k car.

At Ferg's Asking Price (+or Selling Price) it was a good car
mepstein
$12k yes, $20k, no way.
steuspeed
914 2.0 Decal on the rear. Inspect paint around the Porsche badge.
Cuda911
Great find, T.C and Chris! Amazing that this dealer wants to flip it for that much more!

Well, at least Deputydog knows what the dealer paid for it, and can find out add'l details of the car from Ferg.

Then, he can walk in and low-ball the dealer and maybe pick it up for $13K or so.

Deputy, if you can swing the price, look at TC's car. I drooled over it when I was 914 shopping, but it was beyond my 914 budget. Sounds like you are looking for a super nice car and don't mind paying for the privilege of owning such a car.
Chris H.
Believe it or not the decals for "914" and "2.0" are correct for '76 only. It's a nice car no doubt, but nothing on it has changed to increase the price by that much. Nothing appears to have changed at all actually. It was Ferg's fer cripes' sake so you know it was clean when sold. In fact it's probably less clean now biggrin.gif .
deputydog95
Wow, you guys are awesome. Amazing info resource.

The dealer emailed me on Sat saying the car had a pending deal and was off the table.

I didn't lose sleep over it based on his price.

Emailed me again today saying the deal fell through and was I still interested...

Not sure how to respond....

I do like the the car overall, but agreed on the price. It's a bit rough.

If TC's car would even get done at the body shop I'd sure love to see it smile.gif

Scott S
I think that is the car Ferg just sold. You should drop him a line.
deputydog95
It is and I did.

What a nice guy. Talked to Ferg for a bit on the phone and got the whole story.

Wish I had seen Ferg's ad before the dealer did....

Emailed the dealer and he still thinks the car is worth $20k.

I forwarded him this thread to bring him back to earth regarding the pricing beerchug.gif

I guess I'll wait to see if TC's car ever gets out of the paint shop smile.gif
76-914
FWIW, I have a 76 and a 73. The 76 is defiantly a nicer ride on the freeway. Probably the additional weight and the more aerodynamic, albeit heavier, bumpers. Lowest HP of any of the 2.0's (88 vs 100 IIRC). Check your states smog laws. In CA 76 and up need smog test! You might already know that the 76 MY is actually the 75 re-labled.
deputydog95
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 21 2014, 04:44 PM) *

FWIW, I have a 76 and a 73. The 76 is defiantly a nicer ride on the freeway. Probably the additional weight and the more aerodynamic, albeit heavier, bumpers. Lowest HP of any of the 2.0's (88 vs 100 IIRC). Check your states smog laws. In CA 76 and up need smog test! You might already know that the 76 MY is actually the 75 re-labled.

Lucky for me, Florida is a pretty much lawless state smile.gif

We don't even have vehicle inspections. Kind of crazy if you ask me. You should see some of the POS's on the road. Dangerous....
hot_shoe914
Nobody going to mention the obvious rust?

Click to view attachment
Porschef
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 21 2014, 04:44 PM) *

Allow me to offer my subtle rebuttal...I did a backdate last month (it's documented somewhere here) and while I noticed an immediate lightness as far as handling is concerned, I did not feel any difference stability wise during yesterday's trek over to New Jersey, hitting some of the worst roads in the nation. I was concerned that I'd have lost some dampening effect by removing the BUB's,but I'll be dillywhackindoggone if'n I did. So, in my honest estimation, there may be other factors contributing to the difference, but I'd be willing to eliminate the bumpers as one. Perhaps just being a heavier car is the primary factor.

YMMV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.