Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell is wrong with me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
It started out as "wow, I can get a 914 for under $1000". I did.

Then I found a 2.0 for $500.

Then I got a ride in a V8 conversion (this was probably some sort of point of no return)

Then bought an LT1.

Then I decided I wanted a better car to start with, so I bought a roller.

At this point the disease has gotten a pretty good grip.. now I'm making calls to find out who does baking soda blasting around here.

Can somebody tell me where it ends? Will I be detailing my 914 with Q-tips next? Will my 914 ever roll again?

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Root_Werks
IPB Image IPB Image

Welcome to our little world. IPB Image
ottox914
I take it you are not married, or have a comfortable couch? Good luck and keep us posted! I used the "ask forgiveness, not permission" theory for my first 914. Around here at least, that only works once. The next 2 parts cars were "approved" prior to purchase.
SLITS
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I started with one...blew it up....changed the engine and sold it. I should have learned.

I now own 3 runners and 2 parts cars and considering a 6 conversion. IPB Image
scruz914
It is not supposed to end. You might have the wrong starting point though. You need a car to drive first. Then you start tinkering. Then you get the $1000 car, work on putting the 8 in it, soda blast it, tinker some more, get it running several years later (with some breaks in between the progress). Sell the original driver, drive the 8, and start all over.

It would be no fun if it ended.
bondo
I am married. Fortunately I have a very understanding wife IPB Image Either that or it's conagious IPB Image
Root_Werks
IPB Image As much as I IPB Image my current six, I will most likely sell it and start another one. Just what I do. IPB Image
SpecialK
Got my first one in '99, and have bought two more since.......none of them are going anywhere anytime soon! IPB Image

There is no known cure for the "While-I'm-at-it-I-might-as-well..." disease. Hopefully it doesn't escalate into full-blown DWD (Dirk Wright's Disease) requiring you to be institutionalized IPB Image "I see rusted parts.....they're everywhere" IPB Image
xitspd
Diseases crucify the soul of man, attenuate our bodies, dry them, wither them, shrivel them up like old apples, make them so anatomies. "914"
Howard
ATDT

Am there, doing that. Not that it's a bad thing IPB Image
Toast
You do have a disease. I will never end. If you start detailing with Q-tips, then you bought a 911 by mistake and are lifting your pinky while drinking wine and eating cheeze. Your rollor will run again once you have bought enough teeners. IPB Image IPB Image
bondo
Good to see I'm not alone. IPB Image

Relating to this affliction.. If anyone else in this area is interested, Pacific Metal Finishing in Paso Robles is working on setting up to do soda blasting of car bodies. The more interest they get the more likely they'll do it soon. From the sound of the guy I talked to, they're thinking they could be ready in a month or two.

Does anyone know how many people it takes to load a 914 body onto a trailer? IPB Image

(I noticed that I can lift the front by myself, with jackstands at the jacking donuts)
SpecialK
QUOTE (Toast @ Jan 21 2005, 12:51 PM)
Your rollor will run again once you have bought enough teeners. IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

Good thing they're small.
Sammy
I watched a friend of mine spend 5 years of his life and lots 'o money trying to make a car perfect. Never, ever even drove it, he got burned out and sold the project for a loss. What a shame.
I decided then and there that i would not follow in his footsteps, every car project I take on now has one common theme:
It doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to run and be driveable. I will always work towards that goal and get it driveable as soon as possible, and never sacrifice that for the pursuit of perfection!
If i work on a car for more than 2 months and I can't drive it, I blew it. That is the only way I can keep what little sanity I have left.
SpecialK
Good advice Sam, but it's too late for some of us....huh, Mueller IPB Image
Mark Henry
Better than wasting your life doing drugs.

Wait a sec….maybe a 914 is a type of crack IPB Image
McMark
Brandon and I can lift a bare 914 shell by ourselves. The weaker your people are, the more you need of them. IPB Image

I would pick the best one and do the chassis up 100% correct. That's the part that you can never go back and do again. If you took a 100% chassis and threw all used parts on it you can switch out the parts 1 by 1. If you took a 50% chassis and threw all nice parts on it you have to take them all off to fix the chassis.
anthony
I don't understand you guys that like to live in the garage. I bought a nice running 914 and have racked up over 10K glorious miles in three years. Even a nice running car presents plenty of projects to get my hands dirty on.
markb
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 21 2005, 01:34 PM)
Good to see I'm not alone. IPB Image

Relating to this affliction.. If anyone else in this area is interested, Pacific Metal Finishing in Paso Robles is working on setting up to do soda blasting of car bodies. The more interest they get the more likely they'll do it soon. From the sound of the guy I talked to, they're thinking they could be ready in a month or two.

Does anyone know how many people it takes to load a 914 body onto a trailer? IPB Image

(I noticed that I can lift the front by myself, with jackstands at the jacking donuts)

Call me when you're ready to move it. I'll be interested to see how it comes out. Why baking soda?

BTW, the disease never goes away. You've seen my collection. IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ Jan 21 2005, 06:20 PM)

Call me when you're ready to move it. I'll be interested to see how it comes out. Why baking soda?

Cool thanks.. do you have a trailer? IPB Image Not 100% sure if I'm gonna go the stripping route. I still have to get a better idea of pricing, and examine more carefully how much work it is to finish dismantling the car.

Baking soda because sand can actually deform the metal, and has a tendency to shake out of the car for the rest of its life (just ask andy). Baking soda doesn't deform panels, and it's cheaper than dipping. It's also water soluble, so you can dissolve it out of wherever it gets stuck. And then there's the added benefit of battery acid neutralization. IPB Image
markb
Sorry, no trailer. Wonder if it'll fit in a Uhaul? IPB Image
Water soluble, hmm, isn't a 914 also water soluble? That rust stuff? IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
It's a disease and an addiction, but we like it that way.

I don't understand you guys that like to live in the garage. I bought a nice running 914 and have racked up over 10K glorious miles in three years. Even a nice running car presents plenty of projects to get my hands dirty on.

My problem is once I get the current 914 done, which is actually my wifes, I will be looking for another project. Life doesn't feel full enough unless there is some type of project in the garage.

Sean
bondo
I have a tow vehicle, so I can just rent a uhaul trailer. I'm getting way ahead of myself now.. another symptom perhaps? IPB Image I have a dehumidifier in my garage so after the paint is all cured I could hose it out really good, dry it the best I can, and let the dehumidifier do the rest to prevent rust goblins (we need a rusting away smilie.. perhaps something that rusts into a pile and then blows away) IPB Image
xsboost90
yeah i never seem to have enough projects. I started w/ a real nice 944, painted, rollbar, suspension, wheels, etc etc, etc, euro bumpers, etc... Then when it was "done" to where i would need to strip the car to do anything else, then i traded it, and started on two new projects.....

This car will keep me busy for awhile, but then what?...hm.. IPB Image
Series9
Four guys is a good number for moving or lifting a body.

When mine came back from paint, I had six just so there wouldn't be an accident.
Gint
Start restoring an original rusty /6.

It cured me... IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 21 2005, 06:57 PM)

When mine came back from paint, I had six just so there wouldn't be an accident.

Is that a factory color? I like it, that looks pretty much like my dream 914 color. I noticed you took the pic at dusk to avoid burning the camera with the brightness IPB Image
bondo
Ok I went to the garage and mulled it over. Now I have some hypothetical questions for people that have "gone all the way". I have the front suspension off, and the rear suspension half off. Engine and trans are out of course, rear trunk and one door are off. The interior is stripped of all but the dash and steering column. Obviously I'll need to take off the door and the front trunk lid.

Here are the things that I noticed will have to come off (that I wasn't planning to mess with before the disease took another bite). Dash and everything in it, steering column, headlight motors, all that crap under the cowl, and the wiring harness. Are any of these super nasty jobs that I'll regret for the rest of my life?

Also what am I forgetting?

So what do you think the next step of the "while I'm in there" disease will be? Getty dash? IPB Image
markb
Only thing I can think of that's a real pain is the wiring harness.
bondo
Here's a couple pics, to stave off the group of smilies we all know and love IPB Image

Pic one:
bondo
pic 2: (ignore the junk)
McMark
Strip it down. You'll learn a ton. The wiring harness will be a bitch. But you'll understand where each and every wire goes. This is valuable knowledge. It's a challenge, for sure. But as I said, a solid base is worth it, IMHO.
Series9
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 21 2005, 10:17 PM)

Is that a factory color? I like it, that looks pretty much like my dream 914 color. I noticed you took the pic at dusk to avoid burning the camera with the brightness IPB Image

It's a factory color, but not a 914 color. It's called 'Gelb' which is German for yellow.

That's right, no adjectives, just Gelb. That's why I chose it.
bondo
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 22 2005, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 21 2005, 10:17 PM)

It's a factory color, but not a 914 color. It's called 'Gelb' which is German for yellow.

That's right, no adjectives, just Gelb. That's why I chose it.

Aha. Is it a 911 color? Are you bringing the car to the WCC? I'd love to see it in person.
Gint
Here are the things that I noticed will have to come off (that I wasn't planning to mess with before the disease took another bite). Dash and everything in it, steering column, headlight motors, all that crap under the cowl, and the wiring harness. Are any of these super nasty jobs that I'll regret for the rest of my life?

It's easy to take apart... IPB Image Take pictures as you remove parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.