Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield plastic vent alignment help, please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
OK, I'm a picky SOB. Note in the picture below, the passenger side plastic windshield vent outlet is not quite level. It's higher on the left than on the right, by a few millimeters.

I know that this is that factory dash and has never been replaced. Is it possible that it came from the factory this way? Any way to level it out (it isn't loose, and has no "wiggle room").

Thanks!
SirAndy
In order to get to them, you have to remove the gas tank and then remove the air control valve.

There might be some "wiggle" room in how they mount, i don't remember, it's been 10 years since i last had one apart.
smile.gif
Cuda911
Gas tank out to get to it? Crap. Believe it or not, this vent level thing is driving me nuts. OCD I guess.

However, if there is any chance that it was delivered from the factory this way, I could learn to live with it.
Elliot Cannon
Really? laugh.gif
SLITS
Click to view attachment

Part number 26/27 snaps over part number 16/17 ... it is not attached to the body except for part number 16/17 which is held to the body by part number 21 (floor vent). #26/27 is held to #16/17 via spring clips.

Unfortunately, the image I picked is for the early car, but later cars are much the same. I have broken #16/17 trying to reassemble the system.

further, the dash cover is vinyl? with about a 1/4" foam backing which is glued in place to the metal frame. Hans started to glue the cover into place, but it was lunch time and after 3 pints beer.gif at lunch Rolf completed the installation. drunk.gif
rhodyguy
try not to look at it. does it feel like its securely attached? distortion or the irregularity of the dash top padding makes it look worse than it is. nature of the beast.
914Sixer
PITA to get out WITHOUT breaking the clips. The reason one is probably lower than the other is the fact the foam rubber collapsed as the sun visors do.
orthobiz
Dave Cheek has a show winning 1976 that was delivered from the factory with some excess glue showing on the dash (at least that's how I remember the story). Seems like judges comment on it all the time, makes him a bit nuts, but it's how it came from the factory.

If it's any consolation, your vent doesn't bother me!

Paul
Rob-O
I'd say that it's one of several things.

Could be that your particular vent was not molded correctly when it was made. But given the material used (ABS) I doubt this is the case.

Or it could be that one or both of the tabs on part 26 (or the corresponding tabs on part 16/17) have broken and the spring clips (part 29) are no longer holding part 26 to part 16/17. If you can jiggle the vent, then this is most likely the case. This is the common failure point when guys try to remove this system from the car. As mentioned above, it is a PITA to remove and they frequently do get broken...when you're not doing it correctly. The correct method entails taking off the entire dash assembly BEFORE removing those parts. When the dash assembly has been removed it allows the vent assembly (part 16/17 and part 26 combined) room to be removed without removing the metal spring clip (part 29).

The factory assembly would've been to 1.) build assembly 16/17 and 26. 2.) install in vehicle, then 3.) install complete dash assembly into vehicle.

Lastly, it could be that the assembly of part 16/17 and 26 isn't tightened down on the car. That would be a quick fix. Two 10mm nuts hold two clips (part 22) through the bottom of the firewall. You'll see a vent (part 21) right around the radio area in the cabin of the car. The vent has those two nuts (part 24) and washers (part 23) on it and are sandwiching the vent inside the car and the vent assembly in the front truck, together.
Rob-O
I'd say that it's one of several things.

Could be that your particular vent was not molded correctly when it was made. But given the material used (ABS) I doubt this is the case.

Or it could be that one or both of the tabs on part 26 have broken and the spring clips (part 29) are no longer holding part 26 to part 16/17. If you can jiggle the vent, then this is most likely the case. This the common failure point when guys try to remove this system from the car. As mentioned above, it is a PITA to remove and they frequently do get broken...when you're not doing it correctly. The correct method entails taking off the entire dash assembly BEFORE removing those parts. When the dash assembly has been removed it allows the vent assembly (part 16/17 and part 26 combined) room to be removed without removing the metal spring clip (part 29).

The factory assembly would've been to 1.) build assembly 16/17 and 26. 2.) install in vehicle, then 3.) install complete dash assembly into vehicle.

Lastly, it could be that the assembly of part 16/17 and 26 isn't tightened down on the car. That would be a quick fix. Two 10mm nuts hold a clip through the bottom of the firewall. You'll see a vent right around the radio area in the cabin of the car. The vent has those two nuts on it and are sandwiching the vent inside the car and the vent assembly in the front truck, together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.