Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't think I seen these before
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
IPB Image Hi gals and dude! IPB Image

Got a question for ya--was up under my new tub throwing my mojo down and with all the paint and undercoat gone I spotted these: Reinforcements between the rear sus ears.

I have seen a few threads of people taking these apart and back together and such, but , alas, I do not remember seeing these? Was I just missing something??

TIA IPB Image
Mueller
looks like a PO modification/fix...I think I see MIG welding wire stuck on the surface....I'd double check that area for cracks....you might want to get a block of wood and put it up against the ear and smack it with a nice heavy hammer to feel how solid the repair is......
jwalters
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 21 2005, 03:39 PM)
looks like a PO modification/fix...I think I see MIG welding wire stuck on the surface....I'd double check that area for cracks....you might want to get a block of wood and put it up against the ear and smack it with a nice heavy hammer to feel how solid the repair is......

IPB Image OK--went out and tried to move some stuff--solid as a rock!! They are formed almost perfectly--and really herki--I am guessing 12-14ga mild steel...

They are formed so damn well I was wondering ifn it was a mod way back when??? Mayby the person who has seen / done this before might be a member???--Don't get me wrong, I ain't bitchin---looks like a really well done reinforcement job--and yes those are mig welder strands--so maybe,,not too long ago?? Or, How long have migs been available?? IPB Image
BIGKAT_83
Look right to me just took a few pictures of a car on the rotissiere. No after seeing the two together there has been something added.

Bob
Series9
Just checked mine. It has them too.

They're factory.
Mueller
well then....I guess I stand corrected IPB Image
J P Stein
Ayup, nice welds, eh?....at least those that are there IPB Image

I welded up everything in that pic that was exposed....after grinding out all the shittage......to include the outside dia. of the ear and all other pinch seams from the firewall area back to the trans mount. Only lit myself on fire bout 6 times IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image Well CRAP! Thought I may have had something special thar------Oh well , at least I got my fall back--my VIN # has "916" in series in them IPB Image

To the dumbasses out thar I can pawn it off as one of only 12 made!!!!! IPB Image IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 21 2005, 02:10 PM)
Just checked mine. It has them too.

They're factory.

So that means the crappy welding and MIG welding wire are from the factory? And JP, you went to the trouble to clean the factory job up? Anyone else do this?
McMark
Yeah, the factory welds aren't exactly pretty, but we are talking about 70's production line welding. So I don't think you can really blame them. I plan on cleaning up the welds on my aubergine car. I'm gonna go psycho on it. Way over the top.
J P Stein
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jan 21 2005, 04:16 PM)
And JP, you went to the trouble to clean the factory job up? Anyone else do this?

Hay, I wuz there IPB Image
Brett W
Every teener I have been under has those. I first thought it was a Po installed deal, but after seeing it on other cars I figured the factory did it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.